Sunday 25 November 2012

Annal 188: Tale from the Warcraft-Inspired Worship

I don't know when, I don't know how, I only know it happened.  At some point world views were altered and the stars aligned ever so slightly.

I have become "cool."

Yeah, I know you are all just as awed by this knowledge as I was.

It began on Monday afternoon.  I was being observed by my SA and this was the first lesson in a mini-unit I had completely designed (it was on descriptive/narrative writing).  When discussing the importance of incorporating all of your senses in writing, I described a scene from my own life.  Specifically, I described myself playing World of Warcraft.

Before I go any further I should probably insert that I was rather wary of doing this.  I didn't know these kids all that well and I had no idea what admitting such a fact would do to their view of me.  But I decided to be open and vulnerable and admitted that I played video games.

My reputation increased by about 1000 with my English 11 students.

This also led to a week where my students discovered other facts about me.  They learned that I love the Final Fantasy games but have also been known to break out The Sims 3 when I need some brainless activity to occupy my time.  They discovered that I love The Lord of the Rings and cried when Snape died in The Harry Potter books.  Upon the realization that I grew up in the arctic and a theme that has driven my life is "Stick together and don't jump in any big snow drifts," I pretty much moved into revered status in the classroom.

Maybe this just sounds like a whole lot of silliness to some of you.  But for me this is pretty huge.  I am a believer that learning takes place in a classroom where there is community, where there is a relationship between the teacher and the students that encourages trust and openness.  No, I don't believe in waving my dirty laundry in front of my students.  But I do believe that when they trust me and know me, they are more willing to try activities and lessons that I give them.  By the end of this week I didn't see a single cell phone out when giving a lesson.

This four week practicum has had some rough moments for me.  There were times when I wondered if teaching was what I was really called to do.  In the last week, however, I remembered just how much I love being in the classroom.  How much I love interacting with students.  I had a double observation on Thursday with both my SA and my FA and I cannot begin to describe how stressed I was about it.  By the end of the lesson I was convinced I had failed and that both of them would tell me to give up teaching.  That didn't happen.  My FA had nothing even remotely negative to say, and my SA had only one tiny piece of advice.  Otherwise they both thought the lesson went splendidly.

Believe it or not there is a reason I am telling you all this.

I spent the weekend with my brother and his family again (how can I say no to cuddles with the niece and nephew, decorating a Christmas tree, and a movie night out with my sister-in-law?), which means I went to church with them today.  To be honest, I found the sermon a little shallow (the pastor was talking about how we are called to love each other).  And then he came to his very last point.

He said that we love each other because it glorifies God.

The moment he said this, it was as if something clicked in my soul.

I thought of this past week, of the relationships I was developing with my class.  I thought of how it almost breaks my heart when I realize that I won't get to teach most of them next semester because they will be moving on to different classes.

I have only known them for three weeks, but the truth is I care about these kids.  I know each of them by name and I can't describe the pleasure I get from talking with them in the hallway, or watching them open up in a conversation with me.

I guess you could say I love these guys.

And today I realized that when I am in relationship with my students, when I care about them, I am glorifying God.

Sometimes it seems like so little.  Sometimes I think, "What's the point in building these relationships?  I'm only going to be around these guys for a few weeks."

Then I remember that I am created to worship.

When I am interacting with my students, I can't begin to describe how at peace I feel.  It's as if I'm fulfilling one of my purposes in life.

Today I realized that I am.

And so here's to World of Warcraft, and how it leads me to glorify my God.

2 comments:

  1. Being a teacher is a great responsibility. It's a position where you can encourage your students and point them in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I get in front of my students I feel the exact same way, but by God's grace and their gracious hearts, somehow I make it through.

    I'm so thankful that they've gotten to know me over these last few weeks, and I've gotten to know them - it makes a huge difference when teaching them!

    Blessings in your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete