Saturday 11 June 2011

Annal 23: Tale from my Heart

This entry is going to be a bit of a movement from my typical ones, but I assure anyone who reads this that my next blog will be full of my shallow rants.  This is just what is on my heart right now and I need a way to voice it.
Everything that Jesus said and did during His stint on earth had to do with following what He said were the two greatest commandments.  Loving God and loving others.  He said that all the prophets and laws were summed up in those two things.  Sounds easy enough, but if one were to look at Christians today I think we would have to say it doesn’t appear to be all that easy.  Especially that loving others part.
What does love mean? Paul seems to sum it up nicely in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. “Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.  But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.”  These verses are quoted so regularly that we tend to overlook what they mean.
Right before what is infamously known as the “Love chapter” Paul is talking to Corinthians about unity and diversity in the body.  He mentions that we are not made up of one part but of many (12:14).  How many people can honestly say they love all the people around them who are so different from them?  If God had intended for us to be carbon copies of each other I’m fairly certain He would have created us that way.  But He didn’t.  He created each of us unique because each of us has a different purpose.  Some might be the hands, while others might be the liver.  God calls us to have equal concern for each other, to mourn with each other, and to rejoice with each other.  How often do we do that?
Sometimes Christians are the most cutthroat group of them all.  If someone disagrees with us we find ways to make them seem “less spiritual.”  We make them feel uncomfortable in our small group.  We gossip about them.  We do little discreet things that no one catches; the sort of things never mentioned from the pulpit because it’s easier to mention things like drunkenness, or drugs, or tatooes (yes, I once heard a description of a ‘sinner’ as being a tattooed person.  As my brother has tatooes and it doesn’t seem to interfere with his relationship with God, I’m going to assume that God is not sending him to hell for them), because those are the sins we can nail.  But those aren’t the things that divide the Church.  It’s the lies, the bitterness, the unresolved hurt, and the offenses we refuse to deal with that cause the division.  Loving each other requires us to be patient, to not keep a record of the wrongs done to us, to not seek our own glory and kingdom but God’s.
Ironically, I began writing this thinking of the ways that I have been hurt by Christians recently.  Thinking of how THEY didn’t show love.  How THEY didn’t meet the criteria in 1 Corinthians 13.  And as I’m writing it God is nudging me and say, “Are YOU meeting that criteria?  Are YOU making sure YOU don’t keep a record of wrongs done against YOU?”
What does love look like?

7 comments:

  1. I personally find that the church realizes that lies and gossip are so hurtful and is a subject talked about way more often then tattoos and drinking. Pastor Gordon just spoke a month ago or so about bitterness and offenses. But ya I do agree with the rest of it. I do personally have people in my life that I find hard to lovebut I ask God to help me to work through that. We all Need more love and forgiveness. I like the part about being separate pArts of the same body thank God we are lol. Ps Im pretty sure your bro is safe too lol. Be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have experienced this but my family has recently experienced bitterness and offense in the church. In fact, my mother lost her job because of it. In my experience, it is easier for church leaders to teach against bitterness and offense than it is for them to practice it.

    That being said, it is easier for everyone to talk about the proper way to act than it is for them to actually follow it through. This was the realization that hit me while writing this. I'm one to talk about forgiveness when I have been realizing that in certain circumstances I don't actually know what forgiveness, and love, look like. That's my prayer; that through all of this God would show me what it means to forgive and to love people, especially people you never expect to be hurt by.

    My pastor spoke this morning about reputation and assessing ourselves, and it was a message that hit home. Sure it's easy to look at the wrong everyone else has done, but can I change that? No. All I can do is change my life and live it as an example of Christ, which is easier said than done.

    And I'm glad you think my brother is safe too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry you feel that way about the church Jessica. I don't know anything about the situation having to do with your family so im not in a place to really say anything but I do know that we have amazing leadership within the church and at the head of the church. Leaders that walk the walk and talk the talk. They don't just teach on it but practice it to live as examples!
    This is Jordan by the way I just don't have a yahoo account so I have to go under anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling it was you, Jordan :)

    I'm glad you can feel that way, Jordan. However, this isn't really the sort of thing I want to get into on my blog. If you ever want to talk about it, I am more than willing to do so, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you know lol!! Ya for sure anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it is a daily struggle for me not only to live and let live but to love as well. I too get so upset at people--Christians and non-Christians alike--who are bigots. And then I realize by letting other people's actions get me down or worked up I am not walking in love. Your words definitely are an encouragement. Just letting go can be such a relief. And yet I seem to keep picking things up again. Lol. I love you, dearest. And while I would never want to soften god's conviction in your life I feel you do have a very pure heart after God and his will for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayer for myself at the moment is mostly to know God's love for me (and all mankind) and to SHOW it to others, both Christians and unbelievers. This is an area I struggle in since I like to live in a little "cocoon." But there are so many people out there would need to see God's love, and if the church isn't showing it to each other, will they believe it if we show it to them?b

    ReplyDelete