Saturday 10 December 2011

Annal 101: Tale from Twenty Questions

I am supposed to be studying for my final on Chinese politics.  But the truth is I could use a little break, and this seemed like a perfect escape!  One blog that I follow, "Wayfaring Girl on a Mission," posted these 20 questions along with her answers, and then encouraged us to do the same.  So for those of you who don't know me well, here is a little look into my psyche.  For those of you who think you know me well... we shall see ;)



1.  What's the nerdiest and/or weirdest thing about you? 
When I start to get really stressed out while studying, I will often play some World of Warcraft and refer to certain regions in the game as being my "winter home."  I will also randomly start speaking to myself in an accent.
2. If you could live in a fictional universe from any book, movie,  or television show, what would it be?
There are so many I could pick for this!  However, I just finished watching the movie Serenity last night, and as such I would have to pick the world as represented in it.  Space meets the old West...  men ride horses while shooting lasers... it works for me!
3. Little or big, practical or frivolous, what are a few of your favorite items in your house?
I have a wall hanging in my room that I bought in Ireland four years ago with the Irish blessing on it and I love waking up to see it!  I would also have to say my Rochester and Knightley coffee cups... because I love drinking out of their faces!
4. Do you like animated movies? If so, what is your favorite?
I do like animated movies, and my favourite would probably be a toss-up between How to Train your Dragon, Tangled, and Mickey's Christmas Carol.  
5. What is your least favorite household chore?
Vacuuming.  I will mop, I will clean the bathroom, I will even do dishes, but I utterly DESPISE vacuuming my house.  It drives me batty.
6. What's your favorite thing to get at Starbucks 
(or favorite coffee shop)?
A peppermint mocha from Starbucks.  It's like tasting Christmas in a cup... my world is at peace when I am drinking it.
7. What is your favorite pizza topping?
Cheese and pepperoni (and the rare time when bacon is available)
8. Waffles or pancakes?
Truth be told I prefer crepes, but out of these two I would have to say waffles.  Especially when they involve ice cream and berries... yummmmm...
9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
If I am being honest I will have to say I wanted to be a maid.  My brothers loved it because I would offer to clean their room for them for free.  Shortly after this phase teaching developed an appeal and that appeal has remained (minus a brief period in time where I wanted to be a forensic pathologist--this was only because I liked dissections in high school biology).
10. Do you prefer cooking or baking?
I love baking!  I have begun to enjoy cooking this year, and have actually tried different things out that have turned out to taste good, but baking is still my preference (which is why my freezer has lemon squares and haystacks in it right now).
11. What would be your dream job?
If I had my way I would just write full-time.  I live in this strange creative bubble, where plot lines are constantly unfolding in my head as I do the most mundane of duties. 
12. Do you make your bed every morning?
Typically.  It depends on how stressful the semester is... or if it is laundry day and I am washing my sheets.
13. Picasso or Norman Rockwell?
Definitely Norman Rockwell.
14. Do you like carpet, tile, or hardwood floors? 
I love hardwood floors.  Whenever I walk across them in barefeet I am suddenly transported to another time... especially if I am carrying a candle at the same time.  I can pretend I am Laura Ingalls or Anne Shirley... hardwood definitely provides me with more scope for the imagination!
15. What is your least favorite thing about yourself??
I would probably say my nose.  I have my father's wide, Dutch nose, but mixed with my Great Gran's flaring nostrils.  Awesome mix, isn't it?
16. Last movie you watched??
I watched Serenity just last night... and almost teared up... gosh I love that movie.
17. Computer or Television??
Seeing as I can use me television only to watch movies or play console games right now, I am going to have to go with computer.
18. Favorite Sound?
Pouring rain.  Nothing beats being nestled under a blanket with a good book and your window opened just a crack so you can hear the water raining down from heaven... love it...
19. If you could have a $5000 shopping spree to one store, which store would it be? 
Right now I would want to know if this includes the university because that would be a nice amount toward my fees!  Otherwise I would probably say either a Chapters or else Amazon (because then I could order just about ANYTHING I wanted!)
20. If you could be any Jane Austen fictional character who would you choose (or if you would prefer any fictional character)?     
I sometimes feel like I identify with Anne Elliot more from Persuasion, but if I could pick any of Austen's characters I would want Emma.  Despite for her shortcomings she never gives up.  I also think her story contains the best romance--she marries a man she has known all of her life who has always been her closest friend.  They know each other inside and out, and it is from this friendship that they love grows.  Amazing!!!


Alright, so if you have a blog, I am going to encourage you to copy these 20 questions and answer them as well--it is a great way for people to get to understand a little more of your quirks!  If you don't have a blog, feel free to comment on any of these and how they compare with you!!


1.  What's the nerdiest and/or weirdest thing about you? 
2. If you could live in a fictional universe from any book, movie,  or television show, what would it be?
3. Little or big, practical or frivolous, what are a few of your favorite items in your house?
4. Do you like animated movies? If so, what is your favorite?  
5. What is your least favorite household chore?
6. What's your favorite thing to get at Starbucks 
(or favorite coffee shop)?
7. What is your favorite pizza topping?
8. Waffles or pancakes?
9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
10. Do you prefer cooking or baking?
11. What would be your dream job?
12. Do you make your bed every morning?
13. Picasso or Norman Rockwell?
14. Do you like carpet, tile, or hardwood floors? 
15. What is your least favorite thing about yourself??
16. Last movie you watched??
17. Computer or Television??
18. Favorite Sound?
19. If you could have a $5000 shopping spree to one store, which store would it be? 
20. If you could be any Jane Austen fictional character who would you choose (or if you would prefer any fictional character)?       

4 comments:

  1. So much to love in this post & getting to know you a little more was just the butter to the bread that I imagine that I eat ;)

    And THANK YOU! it's Peppermint Mocha time which means I have to track down on of the very few Starbucks left here in Sydney and grab myself one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got my first Peppermint Mocha of the season yesterday morning and it truly was the greatest thing ever! Glad to know someone else appreciates so fine a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I'm so glad you played along :)) I enjoyed getting to know you even more! I love that you play video games and speak in random accents. That is genius. I love the sound and look of a thoroughly rainy day :)) And I think if writing is what you would absolutely do if you could do anything, I think you should make a point to get even better at doing it so that one day, who knows-maybe soon!-you can do it and earn an income! Do you like writing fiction or non-fiction? You're very good at the non-fiction, for sure as I love following your blog!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks!!!! I appreciate hearing that! Typically I write fiction, though I am definitely developing a love of creative non-fiction!

    ReplyDelete