Tuesday 28 June 2011

Annal 33: Tale from the Grandmotherly 'Baby-Hitter'

I did another overnight babysitting job last night and it was loads of fun.  Same three kids I babysat before and I love them--they are seriously some of the greatest kids.  I pulled up to the house and had three bodies running at me, squeezing me in amazing embraces.  I then realized that only two year old  boys can compliment you, insult you, and make you feel loved all at the same time.

As this two year old body comes sprinting toward me (well, sprinting as well as his legs will allow him to) he holds out his arms to be picked up.  I conceded (can't say as it took much arm twisting on my part--or any for that matter), and felt his little arms wrap around my neck.  He then spoke.

"I love you, Grandma."

Yup.

Grandma.

I raise an eyebrow at him and he grins sheepishly.  He speaks again.

"I love you baby-hitter."

Yup.

By this point he is grinning so incorrigibly at me that I kiss his cheek and tell him I love him back.  I can forgive him for calling me grandma as he had just come from his grandma's house.  As for the 'baby-hitter,' I know that two year old for 'babysitter' but I ask him to not say it too loudly around the neighbours anyway.

So despite having a brief moment of feeling many years older than I am, I also felt incredibly loved.  As I tucked this little guy into bed later that night, he looked at me and asked, "You here in morning, baby-hitter?"  I say yes and he smiles and answers, "Good."  He woke up this morning asking for me.

I have only one question that I can take away from this.  Why are there seemingly no men out there with the same ability to make you feel as loved as this little two year old?  He can call me grandma and make it sound like I hit babies, and yet he makes me feel so loved.

Did I ever think I would be wanting to personality of a two year old in the body of a thirty-something year old?

Go figure.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment