Wednesday 7 September 2011

Annal 60: Tale from Moving

Oi... I don't think any other word more accurately describes how I am feeling at this moment in time.  The last week has been spent packing, moving, driving back home, driving to a neighbouring city's airport, and then driving back to where I am now living.  I calculated it, and with highway driving alone, I have driven about 1250km since Saturday.  Needless to day, I was rather excited to hop on the bus this morning and have someone else cart me around.

My sister and I are almost fully moved into our basement suite now.  I finally finished unpacking my bedroom last night, and all that is left now is to hang up pictures on the walls.  I think we have managed to blend our styles fairly well.  We have a little table with a dish to keep our keys in, and standing watching over this dish is my sister's statue of Gollum.  We have posters from The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Wolverine hanging on the walls in our hallway, blended with my somewhat Victorian-era furniture.  Ecclectic?  I think so.  But so far it is working for us!

Last night we were invited to the movies by some friends, so we went to go see The Help.  I have not read the book, but I have to be honest, I haven't laughed that hard in a movie, or been so closely moved to tears, in a long time.  My personal favourite moment was when the main character's mother informs her that her eggs are dying.  The main character is only 23.

This did make me realize something though.  And this something may be brought to mind because I am getting reading to head to my class on witch hunts, thus reminding me of a previous blog entry.  Somethings don't change all that much.  In the movie, the heroine is not understood, or fully accepted, by her friends because she has gone to school, gotten a degree (and not a degree in getting a husband), and is single.  While I have never experienced anything as blatant as what she does, to this day, in some communities (but seemingly specifically in churches) this view is still held.  People just do not always know how to treat you when you do something "against the norm."

That being said, I must confess to loving being back at university.  This is the time where social divides seem to disappear, where there are no "cool" kids and as such, I feel like I belong.  I am surrounded by other people who are attaining degrees and preparing for careers, and so the emphasis on being single is not nearly as strong.  This is refreshing.

Does this change the desire to meet someone and settle down?  Heavens, no!  But when I am here, it almost feels like God's gift to me.  A reminder that perhaps I am not so strange, that my quirks are not so pronouned as to make me an  undesirable.  It suddenly becomes much easier to see aspects of my personality as His artistic works, and less the result of some strange mutation.

All of this being said, I must take myself off to class now, and shall continue mulling over my thoughts another day.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment