Thursday 1 September 2011

Annal 59: Tale from an Autumn Day

Today truly felt like the first day of fall.  The sky was a dark, foreboding grey, the leaves are starting to turn, it rained, and there was a brisk feel about the air.  It was a day when one should stay inside by the fire, wrapped in a warm blanket, reading a book, and drinking tea.  Instead of doing this I chose to, along with two friends, take pictures for the day.  We visited another friend's property, and then went to the an old train platform for our photo shoot.

It was brilliant.

A day that started off leaving one melancholy, turned into a day of utter joy.


I love weather like this.  I always have.  Something about it stirs every creative impulse within me, convincing me to act upon it, typically through writing, although today that expression came through a camera (and was dependant upon others as I am no photographer).

The thing with weather like this is that it always fills me with longing.  I become convinced that there is so much more to life than what I am experiencing at that moment.  As if a veil exists that is just barely dividing me from something else.  As a child (and not so young child) this longing made me think of The Chronicles of Narnia.  Melancholy days would find me in my closet, searching for a way into another world.  As I grew older, I found that the wind through the trees seemed to whisper to my inner being, beckoning to me to come and dance among the trees to the song the wind was  composing.  Laugh if you will, but that feeling has yet to leave me.

While I fully believe that any creative pulse within me is God-given, I wonder to what purpose.  What good does dancing among the trees provide for humanity?  Is there really any purpose to it?

Other times I wonder if this is simply God's way of speaking to me, like the caress of the wind.  Is this longing within me to be caught up in nature's song simply my heart crying out to be near its Creator?  It is strange, but in these moments where my heart feels so unsatisfied and desires be loosed from its seeming constraints, I also feel closer to Him who created my heart.  It is as if my recognition that something is missing, that there is more than what I see, allows room for God to let me know He is present. 

And so I shall watch the trees sway to the wind's rhythm; I will close my eyes and listen to the sound of their song.  And as I witness creations worship of the Creator, I will allow my heart to be caught up in worship as well. 

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment