Tuesday 27 September 2011

Annal 67: Tale from Roof Fiddling

I feel like I am going to become a well of information!  I finally have my philosophy on dating and marriage figured out, and I am convinced you all need to read this.  You see I was watching Fiddler on the Roof last night and that was when I figured all of this out.

First of all, we need to stop being picky as having a bad husband is nowhere near as awful as having no husband.  When Tzeitel complains that the last man the Matchmaker tried to create a match for her with had no hair, her mother's response was, "You want hair, marry a monkey."  So pickiness is not a good trait.

If you gather with your single friends and sing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match," you are pretty well guaranteed to not marry any men the Matchmaker brings your way.  But you will marry men your parents will not approve of... at first.

Men, if you want to get a girl to dance with you, you must clap your hands, stomp your foot, and yell for her to "come."  Then, and only then, will she dance with you.

If you ever want to introduce yourself to a girl, wait until a bunch of jerks are pestering, tell them to get lost, and then tell her that you notice her at the bookstore all the time.  Then offer her the book you have stragegically placed in your pocket.  If she still doesn't acknowledge you, continue to walk beside her, petting her cow, and tell her all about yourself.  But you must be sure to say you are "a pleasant fellow, charming, honest, ambitious, quite bright, and very modest."  This works like a charm and you are guaranteed to win her over!

I could continue on with the list, touching on Tevye's amazing dance moves and how everyone needs to dance like him (I wait, I did just touch on that) but I will stop.  At the start of the movie, Tevye comments that everyone in his village is like a fiddler on a roof.  They are all trying to create their own beautiful tune while maintaining their precarious position on the roof.

Last night all I thought about was how that pertained to the story of the movie, but this morning I started thinking about how at times we must all feel that way.  Sometimes I feel like I am trying so hard to make something of myself, to create music that will surpass time itself, while trying not to fall to pieces.  If there is one thing I have learned, it is that life can fall apart in an instant.  Sometimes we go through phases where we never know what will happen within the next few days, months, or even hours.  I have learned that life happens, and it is out of my control, and that I am not capable of staying up on the roof with my own strength.  I need others who will stay on the roof with me so we can help each other to stay up.  But more importantly, I need to make sure that my roof is attached to a house whose Foundation is sure.  Because even if my roof seems to collapse, my Foundation isn't going anywhere.  Sometimes the people who are on the roof with you will change, and other times you will feel as if you are all alone on it.  We all go through seasons like that.  But those are the times when you learn to depend on Him upon Whom your house stands.  He isn't going anywhere.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment