Monday 4 June 2012

Annal 164: Tale from the Supper Prep Dance

I know it has been a little while by my standards since I last wrote but this last week has been a wee bit hectic.  I was doing overnight babysitting Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, came down the 24-hour flue on Wednesday (was sent home mid-morning from work as I was throwing up and spent pretty much the whole day incapacitated on the couch), had a friend come up to visit this weekend, went to visit another friend, and am now back at work and hoping that life will find some semblance of order.

If there is one thing I have a hard time with when life gets to be this busy, it is how my devotional time falls by the wayside.  Last week it seemed like I was just barely holding onto life... like my sanity was slipping from my fingers and the harder I tried to hold onto it the further away it slipped.

Then something happened last night that helped to set my world aright.  For most it will seem like nothing more than silliness, or cuteness.  For me it was so much more.

I was visiting one of my dearest friends in a town a little over an hour away.  I had missed her birthday because of my bout with the flu and so went up then to give her her present (season one of Downton Abbey).  We were working to get dinner ready when she asked me to do something at the stove.  I turned to go and do this when her two year old son blocked my path.  He took both of my hands, led me to the middle of the kitchen, and proceeded to dance with me.  Our dance must have lasted almost five minutes.

For those five minutes he just wanted to look at me, smile at me, and chat away at me (even if I couldn't understand a word he said). 

As I drove home later that night I was mulling this encounter over while taking in a glorious sunset.  The sky was lit up with brilliant colours that accentuated the fields clothed with mist beneath it.

These two moments, though both quite brief and the grand scheme of time, stilled my heart and filled it with such joy.  Despite the craziness that had been my life, God took the time to give me two very different encounters that fulfilled the same function: they gave me an awareness of Him.  The one thing my week had been lacking was given to me through a sunset and a dance with a two year old.

I continue to be amazed at the ways through which God speaks to me... the means He uses to get my attention... the love He continues to bestow.

And it is with the memories of those moments that I am able to begin my week. And thus far it promises to be a good one :)  I even went for a 5km run at lunch with the other two electricians (we're starting a running club now, apparently).  But for now, this exhausted woman is going to take it easy!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment