Sunday 27 May 2012

Annal 163: Tale from the Weekend Getaway

I decided to escape for a little getaway this weekend.  Actually, I felt a little like Frank Churchill.  I needed a haircut, love the woman who does my hair in Prince George (where I went to school last year), and decided to make a trip of it.  After work on Friday night I hopped in my car and drove back PG.  I got in around nine that night, and spent the rest of the evening introducing a friend (the one who also owns a red coat) to Captain America.

On Saturday I got my haircut and was taken out to dinner by two amazing women who have been incredibly examples of God's greatness and love to me.  I then met up with friends downtown at the gourmet chocolate shop to get gelato (chocolate and pistachio... a combination made in heaven, apparently).  I then returned with Red Coat Friend to her home where I was staying and we proceeded to have a "Thelma and Louise Go Bad" photo shoot.  We even got to hold real guns!!!!!


Later that evening I introduced my friend to the wonder and amazement that is The Avengers.  To which I brought my Captain America bobblehead.


This morning I had coffee with another friend and then went to church.  The sermon had to do with prayer and thanksgiving, and the pastor focused a bit on giving thanks in prayer, and not just for yourself but for others as well.

This got me thinking about eucharisteo and living a life of life-filling gratitude.

All I could think about all weekend was how thankful I am for the friends that God has given me.  For what He has done in them, for what He has done in me through them, and just for how He has blessed me with them.  On the way home I was listening to a podcast by a pastor named Matt Chandler and he was talking about shadows versus substance.  How so much of what we see and experience are shadows of who God is.  Which makes me think of how if these friendships are this incredible, how much more amazing is a real relationship with God?

Driving home through the mountains, sunshine pouring down, rivers and lakes accompanying me, I was struck by awe at the God I serve.  And I realized how I want to know Him even better.  I want to get lost in Him, in my relationship with Him.

So here's to guns, run-down trucks, super heroes, giving thanks for amazing friends, and delving deeper into a relationship with the One who gave me these blessings.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment