Monday 12 March 2012

Annal 137: Tale from the Flash Card

I was handed in lime green flash card in Victorian Lit. today.  It informed me of three important aspects:
  1. I am broke... I have not a nickel to my name
  2. I have no title... my status in non-existent
  3. I am single... enough said
Mind you, this little card also told me I was an African  male who had been sold into slavery.

The group presenting on this week's book, The Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker, decided to give our class an idea of the difficulties associated with movement during this time period.  If you had no money and no status you could go nowhere.  It was actually a brilliant game.

The only reason I brought up the flash card is because at the bottom it stated that I had no money, no title, and was single.

Who would have thought a game played in class would so adequately describe my life?  Ahh, c'est la vie!

On other news, remember by brothers' basketball team?  How they made it to Provincials after years of last place?  Well, they ranked 16 of 16 teams but won their last game, causing them to place 15th overall.  That might not sound like much, but the fact that they beat their ranking and that the team they beat was one who had always beaten them speaks to the excitement of this.  And they won Most Sportsmanlike Team (which they normally win because they are last, so it was nice to win it while not being in last place).

And now?  Now I am sitting in my living room with my two sisters.  Our youngest sister is on spring break and has come to spend a week with us.  Which means the three of us are playing video games and eating Skittles.  Yeah, that's how we roll.

I don't know, the last few days have felt like somewhat of a blur.  My youngest sister and I have embarked on a Harry Potter marathon... yeah... I totally started crying when Sirius died... it was pretty pathetic.  Of course, part of the blur probably has to do with my lack of sleep and a cold.  Friends came through town and spent Friday night here.  They then wanted to be on the road by five and we had promised to cook them breakfast.  So at three-thirty in the morning I was clad in my Christmas apron, brewing coffee, and frying eggs and back bacon for english muffins (gosh that makes me sound a lot more domestic than I think I am).

And to top everything off I have been making new friends :)  On Sunday we were all invited to lunch after Church with a large group of young adults.  It actually makes me sad to think that now, with only a little over a month left before the end of school, I am making some new friends.  It also causes me to feel torn about next year.  Within the next two to three weeks I should be finding out where I will end up for school.  I really want to get into the one year program, but there is a part of me that doesn't want to leave all of the friends I have made here.  I enjoy my church and feel as if I am continually making new connections.

I guess all I can do is pray, wait, and see what happens.

Have I ever mentioned how incredibly impatient I am?

I wish I had more to tell you, more truths, but the truth is that this weekend has really been a blur for me. I feel slightly disjointed from reality, and I think this just has to do with lack of sleep and a rather annoying cold.  But I am sure I shall have much more to write and bore you with at a later date!  For now I am going to pull on some warm jammies, make my lunch for tomorrow, and prepare for what shall hopefully be a most relaxing sleep!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment