Wednesday 14 March 2012

Annal 138: Tale from the Sunrise

Have you ever experienced that moment when you turn a corner and there before you is the morning sun?  It holds that golden hue with just a hint of rose, bathing the world in light as it breaks through the early chill.

I had one of those moments this morning. I was coming home from my Wednesday morning Bible study and was mulling over what we had read as well as just thinking about the day.  I turned a corner as I neared home and was struck by the most fantastic view.  The mountains were in the distance and the morning sun was just peeking over them, filling me and my surroundings with the hope that comes with a new day.

This morning we were reading Ruth 2.  You know what struck me the most about that chapter?  In the first chapter Naomi tells people to call her Mara (which means "bitter") because it seems that God has abandoned her, that He brought catastrophe upon her.  Naomi had a reason to grieve, she had lost her husband and her two sons.  But what I really found interesting was that in chapter 2 Boaz takes pity on Ruth.  He provides for her.  And at the end of the chapter, when Ruth relates all of this to her mother-in-law, Naomi talks about the God who hasn't forsaken the living or the dead and asks Him to bless Boaz for his kindness.

Naomi was grieving.  And that was okay.  But God didn't stop being faithful to her just because she went through a tough time.  He continued to prove His faithfulness.  And Naomi saw it.  She recognized His faithfulness. She didn't wallow in her grief, even though no one would have blamed her after the pain she had endured.  She accepted God's faithfulness and allowed Him to strengthen her.

Seeing that morning sun rising over the mountains this morning reminded me of God's faithfulness.  It reminded me that I serve a God who is worthy to be worshipped and held in awe.  It reminded me that even when night seems its darkest there is hope.  I serve a God who is unchanging... a God who is faithful.  A God who breaks through the cold and the dark, the grief and the fear, and can cast His light.

I love sunrises.  I always have.  This semester has had its share of rough patches, of times where I wallow, where it seems like darkness will overcome.  But God gave me this morning as a reminder.  As I saw the sun rising over the hills I remembered all of the instances of the last six months where He has spoken to me through nature.  I remember the wind playing with my hair and caressing my skin, the trees swaying to the music their leaves made, and the embrace of snow as it encompassed me.

And I was reminded that God has not forgotten or forsaken me.  That He is still the same. That He endures.  And that He deserves so much more than what I give Him.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. This is so incredibly beautiful. And I really needed it right now...I've always had my best God-time (if that makes any sense) when I'm outside, just taking it all in: the sun, the wind, the singing birds, the beautiful sky at whatever point in the day it is...I've missed it all so much over these past winter months! And as the world is waking back up, I'm also being reminded of the time I so easily spent with the Lord outside.
    I don't know where I was going with that...but basically, your post made me feel very spring-y inside...in a good way. And it was a good reminder that God *doesn't* leave or forsake us, even in the hard times. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something about being outside and surrounded by the glory of His creation, isn't there? Like you I am very excited for spring and all that it holds and promises!

    ReplyDelete