Friday 4 May 2012

Annal 158: Tale from my Super Hero Carhardts

And so ends the first week of work at my new job.  I have been working as an electrician's apprentice for the school district.  Which for anyone who knows me is probably a little shocking.

But I love my job.  I love pulling on my Carhardt coveralls in the morning, my steel-toed boots (that are actually a bit big for me), and heading to work.  I get there and fill my pockets with the various tools I use regularly and place my protective glasses on top of my head.

Maybe this doesn't sound that exciting, but when I put on my coveralls I feel like a superhero putting on their costume (much like when I put on my red jacket).  When I wear them I am willing to do things I would normally balk at.  Like with my slight fear of ladders.  Ladders just weren't the sort of thing I liked to climb.  I have never felt over comfortable and confident with my body and as a result have embraced my klutziness and often times used it as an excuse for not trying things.  But I can't do that because ladders are a part of my job.  So even though I get nervous I find myself scaling them to reach the roofs of all the various schools in the district and swinging myself (rather ungracefully) onto the roofs. 

And I love it. 

I love pulling out my wrench to take apart an exhaust fan. I love standing on a roof with my walkie talkie waiting to hear from the other electrician and surveying the city while I do so, taking in the sunlight (I have already started to tan).  I even love digging through the tool box back at the shop, looking for tools to take apart lights.

Am I really much use to these electricians?  No, but they are so good about taking the time to explain things like how to install smart plugs, or making sure I'm comfortable on a ladder, about making me not feel like an idiot.  And they are awesome guys that it is incredibly easy to get along with.

I'm physically exhausted.  Today, both of the electricians were gone so I was working with the grounds crew (where all the other summer students work).  I spent about forty minutes shoveling dirt and rocks this morning, and then a good five hours or so weed whacking.  Which might not sound like hard work, but I am sore.  But I am also smiling.

This all probably sounds pretty dorky.  But I'm okay with that.  Because God has been using this job to, even in my inadequacy, develop a confidence I never thought I would possess.  And that is exciting.

But for now, I am going to take a nap, eat some dinner, and prepare myself to go to The Avengers tonight :)

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment