Thursday 17 May 2012

Annal 161: Tale from the Voice

I know I have said this before, but today at work I REALLY felt like a superhero.  Lunch time arrived and my foreman and I headed to the staffroom to eat.  On our way his phone started to ring.  I went ahead, sat down, and started to eat my grapes.  He showed up a minute or two later with the news that the power was doing something strange at the high school in town.  We abandoned our lunches on the table and rushed to the work van where we spent the next few hours trying to solve the power  mystery.

For the record, when we first arrived we peeked into the gym where the lights were dimmed and flickering.  It was kind of like a scene from a horror movie... and kind of put me in my happy place.

At one point we were in the room where the main power switch was and the capacitator (I say that because it makes me sound like I know what I am talking about) started smoking.  Then it made a strange noice and before I knew it my foreman was pushing me out of the room and following after me.

Like I said... kind of exciting :)

Eventually everything did get sorted out and power was returned to the high school.

After this adventure I went back to the shop with my foreman and the first year apprentice I usually work with (he met up with us while we were figuring out the power issue).  He and I then returned to checking rooftop exhaust fans.

I have been battling a cold for the last few days, but when I woke up this morning my throat was definitely sore.  As a result my voice was scratchy.  As the day progressed my throat grew more raw.  I don't know if I have ever mentioned what happens to my voice when I get sick.  It's actually quite embarassing as it draws a lot of attention.

My voice drops about an octave when I get a sore throat.  This might not sound like a big deal, but that's because you don't hear the comments I get about it.

Like a guy in Bible college telling me I could get a job with a 1-900 number to put away some extra money.  Or the apprentice at work telling me my voice is raspy and sexy and that I need to stop talking like that (because obviously that is something I can control).

So there you have it, my day in a nutshell.  I saved the school by bringing power back (or followed the real electricians around who did the actual saving), and I did so with a deep, husky voice.  All in a day's work for this Christian single.

And now I am going to try for an early night, as we are starting work an hour earlier tomorrow to drive to another town to check fire alarms at a school there (that and my foreman wants to kick off the long weekend by being able to end an hour earlier).

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment