Sunday 21 August 2011

Annal 55: Tale from my Birthday

My oldest brother and his family came to visit us for the last week, and as such, rooms have been rearranged and I find myself sleeping on our rather comfortable couch.  As my youngest sister headed off to bed last night she looked at me and said, "Don't worry, your protector is looking out for you."

She was referring to the birthday card resting on top of our piano with an image or a rather intense-looking Thornton on the front.  I  had to laugh; he did look like he was scoping out the room, ready to defend me at the slightest provocation.

It was my birthday yesterday, and my gift from my single friend seems to be the culmination of so many of my various blog entries that I felt I must share.  The card is all-Thornton.  His picture is on the front and inside, with his line "You're coming home with me?" written across the inside.  She bestowed upon me a novel entitled A Hopeless Romantic.  I feel as if this should be somewhat self-explanatory.  I'm a hopeless romantic, the heroine is a hopeless romantic--it just seems to fit.  She then created two magnets for me; one has a picture of Knightley and his "Men of sense do not want silly wives" quotation (it was this line that gave me hope that perhaps one day I will actually find a man who will, indeed, want me) and the other has a picture of Rochester (2007 BBC version) with a section of one of his most stirring speeches.  Lastly, I received two mugs from her.  One has a picture of Knightley with one of the most romantic quotations ever: "I cannot make speeches... if I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more."  On the reverse side of the cup it states "I Love Knightley."  The other one I am currently drinking my morning coffee out of.  On the back it says "I Love Rochester" and on the front there is an  image of him and his line "Get away from me, Witch." 

I feel the need to pause for a moment.

...

Terribly sorry but with so many intense stares, and heart-wrenching lines, I find myself having trouble catching my breath.  Perhaps drinking from my Rochester mug will assist my breathing.

...

Nope, it did not help ;)

All melodrama aside I had a wonderful birthday day.  Two of my dear friends came to visit, it was one of the nicest days of the summer, and I am still scratching some of my hives from where I got a little too much sun (yeah, nice romantic image, isn't it?).

What I found interesting is that this birthday filled me with hope.  I do not despair of growing another year older but instead grow excited for what this coming year may hold.  Who knows what adventures God will orchestrate this year, what friendships He will help me to develop, what truths He will reveal.  I find myself looking forward in eager anticipation.  Who am I to place a limit of God and what He is capable of doing and revealing?  This last year turned out nothing like I imagined; it had so many ups and downs, not to mention many a surprising detour due to the washing out of other routes.  But I don't regret it.  Rather, I am seeing how He has used all of it to reveal Himself and to help shape me into what I hope is the woman that He wants me to be.  I look forward to seeing what happens this year (I give you all permission to remind me of this when I am complaining in a month's time about whatever 'horrid' thing I feel is taking place).

Before I sign off I want to leave you with a quote from my dear friend, Rochester, not because of its depth but because I hope it stops the occasional heart like it does mine :D

"It is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame."

Sigh.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

5 comments:

  1. I wanted to get you chili cheese chips to return the favour... but they are still MIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, what wonderful gifts. My heart would certainly stop. Just out of curiosity which version of Knightley is it? Lastly, happy birthday! I pray God blesses you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi: No worries... you get to play WoW so that is really all that matters!

    Miss Esther: It was the Johnny Lee Miller version of Knightley, so the most recent BBC adaptation. And thank you gor the blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday !!!!

    Praying you have a fantabulous year full of joy, laughter, many many blessings, surprising moments,love, answered prayers and a time where He draws you closer to Him in a new way.

    xMiss365

    ReplyDelete