Wednesday 24 August 2011

Annal 56: Tale from Plato's Cave

Yesterday morning I was working the early shift at the deli (in case you haven't noticed, I work that shift a lot) and I was putting away our freight order.  This led to the obvious thought procession wherein I began to compare the events of the morning to the theories of Plato I had studied in a Theory course last year.  Here is was I discovered:

My foot is not THE Foot.  My foot is only a representation of that ideal Foot.  The six-wheeler I was using to put away my freight was not THE Six-Wheeler, it was simply an image.  Thus the pain I felt when I crashed my six-wheeler into my foot was not Pain, but a shadow of it.

I then came to the conclusion that Plato never worked in a deli.

Perhaps a little odd but it is musings like this that help me maintain what little sanity I have left.  It works.

I think it is safe to say this another reason I am still single :)

This thought process then led to a different thought process.  I started thinking about representations of God's love, and of the relationship He desires with us.  I thought of Paul's use of the marriage metaphor. 

So instead of commenting, I would like to hear what other people have to say.  How does marriage as we know and experience it work as an image for God's love for us and the love we should have for Him?  How do singles who have never been married follow such a metaphor?

Please, post your thoughts!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. A good, deep question. I had to ponder my answer for awhile, so I didn't comment right away. I think that for a marriage to truly prosper, the love you have for your spouse needs to be unconditional, like God's love. We have to be willing to stick it out with this person no matter what, since quitting isn't really an option. Also, for singles, it can also be seen even before you are married. There is a deep drawing within us to "find the one" (or most of us anyways). If you are a Christian, you will try to keep yourself pure for your future spouse, not sleeping around with every John Doe you meet. This could be an image of us not following after other 'gods' in this world. Sorry for this jumbling of thoughts!

    ReplyDelete