Tuesday 17 January 2012

Annal 113: Tale from the Space Heater

Warmth.

No other word can begin to describe the feeling that is slowly making its way to my inner being.

Warmth.

A friend of mine celebrated her birthday today, and so she had me and my sister over for supper.  First of all, dinner was FANTASTIC!  I'm talking steak (probably the only people in the city who had barbequed steak for dinner in -40 degrees Celsius weather), baked yams with rosemary, and an amazing spinach salad.  I haven't been this full since Christmas time... so yummy!

See, my sister and I are still trying to adjust to our new school schedules, like the fact that I am have class during our typical supper period.  So last week we had tacos on Wednesday night.  That was the last time we ate meat.  It's not as bad as it sounds though.  We weren't feeling particularly good over the weekend, and I know I ate a lot of toast and drank a lot of tea because they were the only things that didn't leave my stomach wanting to bail on me.  So the taste of meat, and not just meat but steak, has pretty much made my life complete.

Except just when I thought it couldn't get any better... it did!  Turns out my friend has a few space heaters that her family isn't using.  Which means my sister and I came home with two extra heaters... and these heaters WORK!!!  At this moment in time one is directed at me and for the first time since our cold weather struck over the weekend I can actually feel my hands.  And my nose isn't frozen.

So not only is my stomach full but my body is nearing a state it hasn't been in for a long time.  Warmth.

But the day got even better.  Because it ended off with some good ole Footloose.  And I am referring to some Kevin-Bacon-eighties-dance-moves-awesomeness Footloose.  Which means that not only am I warm and full, but I will probably spend the next few days dancing while humming "Holding out for a Hero."

Because obviously I wasn't cool enough as it already was!

I wish I could draw some depth out of this for you, but the truth of the matter is that my brain has been feeling pretty fried lately.  It took me a good hour and a half to fall asleep last night because I was battling stress over this semester.  I have three presentations, two papers, and two midterms all coming up within the next four weeks and I have been feeling somewhat overwhelmed because I am also trying to get ahead on other things that will be due right after my reading week in February.  I got some things accomplished today, which definitely lessened the stress, but the truth is I really needed a fun evening like the one that I had tonight.  I ate popcorn, drank hot chocolate, and danced around my friend's kitchen while we sung songs from the movie.  I was carefree and it felt fantastic.  Every once in a while pulling out my geeky side just makes life seem so much more bearable!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment