Wednesday 4 January 2012

Annal 109: Tale from a Shadow

So the new year is now underway and I have returned to life as a student.  No more lazy days for me where all I do is read by the light of the Christmas tree while looking at the woods behind my parents' home.  No more sitting and reading fiction that has positively nothing to do with academic studies.  No more eating more food than anyone should have a right to eat.

Actually, that is not entirely true.

Take one of my English courses, for example.  It is a television studies course about series produced in Canada for the US.  Which means that while watching the first four episodes of season one of X-Files I was actually doing homework.  Which means that while re-watching Battlestar Galactica I will be completing my assigned course work.

Does a class really get any better?

Not that everything is sunshine and roses.  My sister and I celebrated our new year with a phone call from our landlords telling us that due to a most unusual amount of rain our basement suite had flooded.  Awesome, right?  Luckily they caught it in time and replaced the floors while we were gone.  None of our stuff was wrecked either.

At least it makes a story to tell!

Life just feels sort of strange for me right now and I can't put my finger on why that is.  I finally finish my Bachelor's degree in April.  Next year I can start working on my Education degree.  If all goes according to plan, within a year and eight months I will FINALLY be done school and working.

I should be ecstatic, right?

And I am.

But I also feel as if I am a shadow walking this world.  I am watching things going on around be and yet I feel strangely separate from it all.

Maybe it's just post-Christmas blues.

For the last week I have been wanting to write more than I could ever begin to describe to you all.  Snippets of scenes play out before my eyes yet my mind seems unable to connect them into any cohesive whole. 

I don't want you to think I am sad or depressed or even melancholy because I am not.  I just feel strange.  I think strange is the only way I can really describe it.

Although I have been feeling contemplative as well.  I have been working my way through Timothy Keller's The Meaning of Marriage and have found so much in there to think on.  Perhaps I am the only one but it seemed as if my adolescence was filled with romantic visions of what marriage would be like.  Youth leaders told me to wait for my "Prince Charming."  Fiction told me that once I met "Mr. Right" everything would fall into place.

Keller talks of marriage as a spiritual friendship.  A friendship where husband and wife can be completely vulnerable with each other, can remove their masks and stand bare-faced before the other.  He mentions how flaws become more pronounced in marriage and that is why such a friendship is needed.  A spouse is to draw attention to these flaws, not out of spite, but out of love.  Together they challenge each other.  They see the gold and also the dross.  Instead of throwing out the gold because of the impurities, the help to remove the impurities.

Which makes me think of an Emma-Knightley relationship.  This is why their relationship is my favourite out of all of Austen's stories.  That is what they do for each other.

I still crave romance, but more than that I crave a best friend who is willing to work alongside me.  Someone who will love me enough to point out my impurities and then help me work through them.  Someone who will accept it when I do the same.  I don't want someone who think I'm perfect because I know I am not.  Besides, they will only be disappointed.

I realize that these seem to be ramblings with no apparent theme, but they are what is on my heart and my mind.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment