Sunday 29 January 2012

Annal 117: Tale from an Alien Possession

I have made an interesting discovery today.  For whatever reason, everytime I have tried to call my parents to wish them a happy anniversary (they have been married for 35 years) my phone will cut out and their voices are replaced with a rather obnoxious hissing and scratching sound. 

Conclusion?

Either my phone is possessed or else my phone provider has been infiltrated by aliens.

Logical conclusion, right?

So here's hoping that the my server is just screwed up today and will be back to normal tomorrow.  If not, then I am having to go on a little trip downtown to get this figured out, and it is really a hassle I don't want to have to deal with.  Maybe Mulder or the Winchester brothers will show up and solve this phone mystery for me?

Or maybe I have just been watching WAY too much television.

Speaking of television, I learned an interesting tidbit in that class last week. Apparently glasses onscreen = zero sex appeal.  My prof informed us that if a woman is wearing glasses on tv, it is generally accepted that she is not sexy.  The moment she removes her glasses though... WATCH OUT!

So I put this to the test last night.  I had had an hour and a half long nap after dinner and was drinking coffee shortly after midnight (maybe not my brightest move ever).  I was sitting in bed working on my story and thinking of this bit of information.  So I whipped off my glasses to see if my "sexy factor" would increase by 10 points or so.

Only thing that increased was my inability to see.

Of course, my plaid, flannel pajama bottoms probably didn't help the image either.

Then I remember that my prof said this concept only applies on tv--maybe he felt like he had to say this since the majority of women in my class wear glasses.

Regardless, there I was last night taking my glasses off and on.

My coolness is really impressing you right about now, isn't it?

Is this part of the charm I have inherited from my father?  Heaven help me!

This weekend has been incredibly relaxing for me.  My sister was out Friday night for school and I had to wait around until she was off so I could go pick her up.  So I spent that evening reading a Victorian novel for class about a white, female dictator in Africa who liked to cast spells on British men.  I also watched some Battlestar Galactica. 

Yesterday she and I went to the gym and I then headed over to the mall to go shopping with a friend.  We are attending a SnowBall in two weeks and she needed a dress.

Side note: a perk of having been in a vast assortment of weddings is that I pretty much never have to go shopping for formal events.  I can wear the floor-length red gown, the blue and silver dress, or the blue one.  I can choose between the black halter dress or the strapless black one.  I even have the hot pink little number I could wear.  Then there is the red velvet... of course, I wore this for my first wedding when I was five so it may be a little difficult to fit into.

I spent last night in as well.  I did some more reading, watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and caught myself choking up when Cedric died... and I don't even like Robert Pattinson!

And then you have today.  My phone is going crazy but I finished reading about the beautiful dictator.

I wish I had something deep to share with you, but this seemed like a weekend where my mind was able to just relax--and I needed that.  I am going to be doing a lot of work this week, planning a paper and a presentation while preparing for some other assignments as well, and it seemed like the opportunity provided over these last few days was exactly what I needed.

I did have a moment yesterday evening, just before my nap, where I was slightly overcome by a feeling of inadequacy.  I felt unattractive, somewhat unintelligent, and a little lonely (duh... I spent every evening at home of my own volition).

But even with that I found after a little sleep I was better able to deal with those feelings.

And so overall it was a splended weekend and one where this woman was able to get her bearings and at least mildly prepare herself for the coming week.  A week where I shall be haunted by the image of me taking my glasses off and on!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. On other women I think that glasses look great and sexy, but on myself I don't feel even close to sexy when I wear my glasses. it's like I've trained myself that glasses equal comfy which must equal frumpy. Or something like that. But it only seems to apply to myself.

    ReplyDelete