Saturday 7 April 2012

Annal 147: Tale from Ghouls and Babies

Quote of the evening goes to the movie Face Off: "If you dress like Halloween, ghouls are going to try to get in your pants." 

Thank-you, John Travolta.

So my sister and I made it to our parents' place yesterday right around lunch.  The drive was gorgeous.  For the first hour and a half my sister and her boyfriend were sleeping, so I drove through the mist-strewn mountains while listening to instrumental music from The Hunger Games.  I'm not a speeder when I drive, but I always find myself on the look-out for police cars... and EVERY vehicle looks like a shadow car.  I blame this paranoia on an experience from when I was sixteen and I found myself in a rather rough area of a rather large city with three other teenaged girls.  Before I knew what was happening I was running from some police officers.  But that is a tale for another day ;)

Late this morning and early this afternoon a group of friends got together to celebrate the birth of a good friend's little boy.  He was born in February but as I was at school they graciously held off the shower until I could come back.  It was a fantastic time.  Our group was comprised of seven and ranged from my mother, to four married women with young children, to myself and one other single woman.

I find baby showers enthralling.  You listen to the stories women have to tell about all sorts of things and before you know it you find yourself joking about becoming a wet nurse to put away a little extra money for the summer.  My friends thought this was a fantastic idea as they figured this would entitle them to some holiday time :)

The truth is I found myself feeling incredibly blessed today.  I was surrounded by women I care a great deal for and who also care for me.  We are at different places in life yet none of that mattered.  Being a single woman, particularly the single woman who is away for a good chunk of the year at school, simply means that I am entitled to more cuddling time with the numerous babies who were present!  As I have said before, it also puts me in the role of a faery godmother.  I get to be the eccentric "aunt" who buys classic novels for newborns (this little guy received The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn).

I was also reminded of what God has brought me through.  As I gazed around the table at this intimate group of friends I saw friendships that had almost disappeared due to hurts and misunderstandings, and yet to which came healing.  I saw childhood friends who I was able to grow up with.  There were newer friends, people who came into my life at various times, who have been constant sources of comfort and encouragement.

What I find interesting is that as I try to give to God the love that is His, He showers even more of His love upon me.  Sometimes it is in the mist that shrouds the trees as I drive through a mountain pass.  Othertimes it is in the smiles of friends as we celebrate new life.  Still other times it is in the drool of babies as they cuddle close.

But I realized something else at this baby shower.

Life is changing.  Some friends are settling into life with two kids, other friends are moving away.  I feel like this coming summer is going to represent the end of an era for me.  My life is changing as well.  I have no idea where I will be in five months time.  In less than 18 months I could be done all of my schooling and settling into a completely new place, beginning a brand new adventure.

Yet despite all of the changes, despite the ending of some adventures and the dawning of others, I am reminded of the unchanging nature of God.  I am reminded that no matter where I end up, no matter what happens, there is One who will never change.  I can place my hand in His and know that come hell or high water, I can trust Him.

So here's to friendships, old adventures, new adventures, and the One who remains constant and true.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment