Friday 20 April 2012

Annal 154: Tale from the Cheesy Bread

I was robbed last night.

This robbery took place right under my watchful gaze too.

Worst of all was the fact that I smiled and laughed at it.

You see, my niece decided that I didn't really need to eat all of my cheesy bread for dinner last night... so she stole it off of my plate and ate it.  She's just lucky that I was so happy to see her I didn't care she was taking my food!

So my brother, sister-in-law, niece, and nephew spent the night last night.  They were travelling through on their way to see my parents (I will be joining them tomorrow when I am done my last exam).  I haven't seen my niece and nephew since August and I still cannot believe how much they have grown!  She will be five shortly here and he just turned three.  I got so many cuddles in the short period of time they were here... it was wonderful.  My niece and I even had a sleepover.  The three of us also had a pretty epic ninja battle in the hallway as they were leaving.  It looked like I was going to win until my nephew pulled his deadweight move (he just kind of sprawled out on top of me.  I was stuck).  After this he used his plastic ninja blade to brush my hair... and my teeth (that was a little odd).  My niece then took said blade, held it to my throat in a threatening manner, and then smiled and handed it over to me.

Talk about a lot of excitement for one morning!

While talking with my brother and sister-in-law last night, my niece misheard our conversation.  This resulted in her coming over to me and asking, "Auntie, do you have children?"  I answered in the negative which resulted in the most commonly asked question among kids: "Why?"  I gave her the answer I usually give young children: "Because I'm not married."

Well, she thought this was the most interesting thing ever.  She sidled up next to me and with a conspiratorial glint in her eyes whispered in my ear, "But who do you love?"

Is my not-quite five year old niece supposed to be asking her aunt things like that?  Is this what I get for allowing her to "read" my copy of Pride and Prejudice before she was a year old on my bathroom floor?  Is it because I was introducing her to Audrey Hepburn movies by the time she was a year and a half?  Is it because I let her steal my cheesy bread off my plate at dinner last night?

I tried to tell her that I love her.  She wasn't buying it but she did let the question drop.

I still smile when I think of the encounter.  You see, I love being an auntie.  I love having sleep-overs, going down the slide, and playing ninjas with the kids in my life.  I love the fact that kids don't just appreciate your imagination, but fully embrace it.  I love being woken up in the middle of the night by a little girl who just wants to cuddle.  I love waking up in the morning, sneaking down the hallway, and despite my crazy hair and pajamas there was a little guy who smiled big, cried "Auntie!" and ran into my arms for a hug.  The same little boy who thought it was fun to sit on my counter and help me make coffee.  The same kid who would give me a hug, crawl on my lap, and start stroking my hair (Oi!  I am such a sucker for that!). 

So is there any deep lesson from this blog?  No.  Just me acknowledging how I have been so blessed with the family that I have (even if they do steal my food and think it odd that I have no children!).

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment