Tuesday 6 December 2011

Annal 100: Tale from Immanuel

I never cease to be amazed at God's love and care.

This Sunday was my church's first week of Advent but they are doing something a little different with it.  Each week they are studying a different "profile" of Jesus.  So Sunday we looked at Him as Messiah. 

But the main point my pastor tried to drive home was the concept of identity (sound familiar?) and how we need to cement our identity in Christ.  His first point about this really struck me.

He said we need Someone who has been where we are and has made it.  Hebrews 2:17 talks about how Jesus was fully human and learned to live as one of us.

I have been trying to think of what to do for my devotions once I finished reading Ezekiel.  This Sunday I was given some inspiration.  I'm working my way through the Gospels and looking at who they say Jesus is.  Today was my first day in Matthew.  In chapter one I saw that He is the King of all kings, the One who fulfilled prophecy, the saving One.  And He is Immanuel... God with us.  God in human form.  God who experienced all of the hurts and rejections that we face--and to a greater extent.  But through His suffering Jesus showed obediance.

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep.  I grabbed my phone to check the time and discovered I had a new email.  It was from someone I never would have expected to hear from and it gave me the encouragement I needed to get through today.  Because someone told me they were thinking of me, praying for me, and hurting too.

God has given me several reminders today that He is not only with me through this, but that I am not alone in my pain.  He suffered--and pulled through.  He sent me words I needed to hear to let me know that there is more support for me and my family than I could have dreamed of.

I went for a walk and I railed at Him.  I went through my list of everything I was angry about with this whole situation.  I wept.  And I put it to rest at His feet.  I told Him I would need His help to keep it at His feet, but that I did want it to stay there--I don't want to hold onto my anger.

Immanuel... God with us... God in human form... God who was rejected, scorned, lied about, had His words twisted by those against Him, was beaten, arrested, and killed... God who loved, who forgave, who showed obediance even in His suffering, and who was willing to give His life for the very people who so hated Him.

I want to be like Him.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. Great Jess! I was just saying to Nate a week ago how great it would be to do a sermon series on what Immanuel really means and I love how it has spoken to you. It truly is an AMAZING fact that God came to be with us.And to think that those people who rejected Him, scorned Him and lied about Him weren't the "sinners" but the religious People...what are we doing? I miss you lots friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling Christmas is going to mean something vastly different to me this year, and I am excited about that and amazed at Immanuel... I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete