Wednesday 14 December 2011

Annal 103: Tale from a Mayan Hot Chocolate

Have you ever had a Mayan hot chocolate?  Incredibly rich with the slightest hint of chili powder in it?  I had my first today at a delightful gourmet chocolate shop and cafe, and it was truly a thing of beauty.  I even shared some with Flat Stanely.


After this we both went for a haircut.  Okay, I got my hair done and Flat Stanley took a nap in my purse.

And of course there was plenty of video gaming occurring both before and after this little excursion.

I slept in until eight this morning, and then did my devotions with a wonderful cup of coffee and some pretty amazing big hair.  Looked something like a zombie with eighties hair.  It was pretty sweet.

Today in my devotions I was finally done with the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew.  I say finally because the truth is I wasn't enjoying what I was reading.  Why?  Because it seemed like Jesus constantly had to mention things like "forgive" and "pray for those who persecute you" and other such gems.  To be honest, I really didn't enjoy reading those parts, because I knew they applied to me.  So today I was all excited to be reading about things like healing. 

Except what struck me about the miracles Jesus did was the compassion that He had for everyone.

I never understood Jonah's problem.  I mean, God decided to spare Ninevah.  Awesome, right?

This week God has really been calling me to work through my anger toward all that has happened.  I woke up Sunday morning and was patting myself on the back that I had prayed my way through anger and that I could now go onto something else.  Instead my devotions have been filled with words of forgiveness, prayer, and compassion.  I have had to start praying for those I really don't want to pray for.

And it is hard.

The truth is, I don't want to see these people succeed.  I want to see justice.  I feel like Jonah sulking outside Ninevah because God isn't handling the situation my way.

When I went for a walk yesterday I started to pray, and I have to admit I was praying through gritted teeth--it was really hard for me to do.  And then I realized something: if this whole situation were to turn out the way I wanted it to would God be glorified?

I was struck this morning by the compassion Jesus had for those He healed.  He was glorified because of His ability to show this compassion.  He could have snubbed everyone, told them they were horrible people, and then sent some lightning bolts to blast them all.

But He didn't.

He healed them.

He didn't come as the deliverer that people thought he was going to come as--swords blazing while bringing judgment on those who were persecuting Israel.

Hmmm... something to think about.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment