Friday 16 December 2011

Annal 105: Tale from the Toothbrush Song

I have returned home.
You know in the movies when the main character returns home for the holiday and there is a strange sense of foreboding mixed with excitement?  They are excited to return home and see their family and friends, but at the same time they know they have changed, that others have changed, and that in some cases there are friendships that will never be the same?  Definitely how I was feeling when coming home.
That being said, my excitement FAR outweighed any foreboding and so far being back has been wonderful.
Highlight?
Brushing my teeth with my oldest nephew after dinner.  We’re in the bathroom, him standing on the toilet and me beside him, both of us brushing and looking at each other.  I finally let out a “You brush your teeth, ch ch ch ch, ch ch ch ch ch” (please tell me other people out there know the teeth brushing song).  The best part was that he learned this song in kindergarten this year so he started singing a “When you wake up in the morning at a quarter to five...”
What followed was an amazing duet with the two of us singing the song and then pushing our cheeks together for the “ch ch ch” part.  It was pretty cute!
I then took my youngest sister to work and stopped by the deli.  I told them I would work the 23rd and 24th to help out with trays.  After being told that they haven't yet decided at what ungodly hour to have me come in (I think I hear a couple of graveyard shifts calling my name), I had another co-worker announce her pregnancy and another lean over the counter and none-too-quietly ask, "So, do you have a boyfriend yet?"

I love how she makes sure she asks this song in front of a group of guys.  The subtlety of some people, eh?  After assuring her that the majority of guys who are in my classes are multiple years younger than me and that I was indeed still single, I laughed and headed out.

And now I'm sitting in my parents' living room, typing away to all of you.  I had a nice visit with my dad while he cooled down from his workout, and my sister is currently reading some John Grisham on the couch.  The Christmas tree is lit, music is playing in the background, and I can see through to the backyard where the trees are strung with white lights. 

It feels good to be home, even if I know that whenever I'm at the deli a certain co-worker will no doubt be thrusting me into the arms of any man who happens by, no matter their age, hair line, or how many of their teeth they are still in possession of.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get together!! Makes me want to drive to Dawson this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that the toothbrush song is somewhat amazing?!

    ReplyDelete