Saturday 12 November 2011

Annal 87: Tale from the Snowy Day

I think I have finally figured out how to encourage my more motivated side to appear.

You see, I awoke this morning, pulled up my blinds, looked out my window, and discovered that my entire world had been covered beneath an enchantment of snow.  So I got ready, pulled on my coat, gloves, and fuzzy Christmas socks, and took myself off for a morning stroll.  I must confess that before I had even stepped out of my door I was under the spell woven by so glorious a sight, and am afraid that I shall forever remain captive to such a bewitchment.

As I walked along streets covered in pure, undisturbed snow, I was adorned by flakes, transformed from a university student whose life consists of school and the odd evening out with friends where we watch movies (thrilling, isn't it), to a winter maiden caught up in Snow's dance whose gown seemed to glitter with the light of a thousand crystal flakes.

It was truly a spectacular morning.

And perhaps with that image you can understand why I was able to return home and start working on a paper.  I finished the part I had assigned to myself to complete today, and then began to create homemade Christmas cards while watching Christmas movies from the 1940s and 1950s.  And yet the excitement and creativity from this morning did not dwindle as the day continued on.  Before I knew I was again working on my essay and had all of a sudden finished it... two and a half weeks before it was due. 

All I want to do is smile.  My soul seems to cry out within me and as I watch the trees sway to the wind's song all I long to do is join with it.  I sometimes wonder if perhaps I was meant to be a nymph and then God accidentally made me a human instead :)

But the truth is  I feel so at peace, and it is a peace I have not felt in a very long time.  I have never been more thankful for an imagination that I was today.  Everything about today seemed to carry with it a sense of otherworldliness, or as I would have called it as a teen, a 'sense of the Narnian.'  I was slaying dragons, dancing with trees, and being clothed by snowflakes.

It was truly a day of utter joy, and I hope that by reading this, some of that joy may be imparted to you as well!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. What an enchanting post...literally. I love going out after a snow fall and seeing everything covered over in a blanket of crystal white goodness. "Otherworldly" is the perfect word for it. It never fails to take my breath away. And making Christmas cards while watching classic Cmas movies?? I couldn't think of a more lovely use of time. I want to come over! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means, I think you need to come over! Then we can drink hot drinks and watch BBC movies and old Christmas movies while watching the snow fall outside...

    ReplyDelete