Tuesday 29 November 2011

Annal 95: Tale from the Welshman

One of my bus drivers is Welsh.  At the start of the semester he seemed to be somewhat cantankerous, but as time has progressed he has quickly become my favourite driver.

During a particularly large dump of snow, he and I discussed road plowing and how that would pertain the following day's municipal elections.  I can tell you he probably did not vote for those who had been running the city, given the fact that there was not a single snow plow in sight.

Today he pretty much made my day.

We are in the midst of another dumping of snow, for which I am incredibly thankful.  We had a warm spell last week and I felt like Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby, and the rest of the gang from White Christmas when they get off the train in Vermont only to discover there is no snow.

So I pulled the string to request my stop and got all of my things together.  You know what my favourite Welshman did?  Rather than stopping at my stop, he drove a little further up along the road, smiled into the mirror at me, and we wished each other a good day. 

It might not mean much to others, but it saved me from getting just a little more soaked from the wet rain.  It saved me a little more time that would have been spent outside with my make-up running (because I obviously run into prospective man on my street every day and so feel the need to be constantly made up).

Most of all, it was just nice to know that he wanted to something nice for me.  This is the second time he has done that at my stop during a heavy snowfall.  And it means a lot.

No, this isn't the Frodo bus driver or some young thing I am trying to put the moves on (wow... I think I just made myself sound a lot older there than I really am).  And that is okay by me.  He is an older gentleman, head full of white hair, but someone who tries to have fun and interact with the people on his bus

But it was nice to have someone take the time and notice me.  Every so often, we all need to feel like we're special.  And today my bus driver ensured that I did.

So here's to my favourite Welshman!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. That day the random stranger told me I was a lovely pregnant lady was so wonderful. It really is the little things that make a difference.

    ReplyDelete