Monday 21 November 2011

Annal 91: Tale from the Fashion Statement


I have engaged in that age-old battle which has plagued those of us in the northern parts of the world since the dawn of time.  It is that war against frost bite.  At this moment in time, judging by the warmth on one of my ears, I am thinking I am only barely winning the fight.  Which means the time has come to get serious.

The time has come where comfort beats out fashion.

I rent a basement suite, and while it has been updated, it is still in a somewhat older home.  I also have no control over the heat in my suite.  The result of this, what with the recent temperature drop, is that I have been very cold.  In truth, I haven't been able to feel my toes since about Friday morning. 

This isn't just the fault of my suite.  The university is also very cold, and I like to sit by the floor to ceiling windows in the cafeteria.  Gorgeous view, nasty drafts.

So I currently have on some very thick Christmas socks that some girls I coached last year gave me, while wearing my moccasin-style slippers, and my feet are propped up on another kitchen chair so a space heater can fit under my legs.  And  I have an afghan around my shoulders.

But that's not that bad an outfit.  You want stunning?  You should see my night apparel.

First of all, I wear fuzzy Christmas socks to bed.  Then you have the long johns and sweat pants, followed by a t-shirt and hoodie, and finished off with a touque.  Although last night it warmed up enough that I could put the touque away and remove the socks... this was kind of exciting for me!

My sister looked at me one night and remarked, "Well, I'm glad you feel complete in God."

Have I gone to the extreme of wearing my touque and long johns outside my front door?  No, and I'm pretty sure everyone in this city is thanking me for it :)

The upside of this cold weather?  Sometimes the bus driver will be one who happens to like you.  If that does occur, he will drive ahead a nice distance from the bus drop, shortening your walk home my about 10-20 metres.  And I get to make potato soup that will surely warm up my insides.  And drink lots of cocoa.  And I get to wear by awesome winter coat the whole time I am at school... and never take it off.

And so the fight against cold is waging.

The battle for my ear has ended.  The war for the rest of my extremities is just beginning.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment