Wednesday 30 November 2011

Annal 96: Tale from the Depths of an Apple Cider

I really should be studying the role of Raymond Dart in taphonomy and the development of domestication, but why would I want to do that when I could be writing?  My nose, fingers, and feet are in a somewhat frozen state, which means I have a warm blanket over me and a steaming cup of tea at my side.  And I'm watching A Christmas Story by the light of my Christmas tree.  It's the one with the boy who just wants a Red Rider BeeBee Gun for Christmas.  Really, how could those things not mix for the perfect inspiration?

Not that I have anything particularly brilliant to share.  Rather, I have some un-brilliant but very "me" moments to share.  Like yesterday afternoon.  It was snowing all day, resulting in the perfect snow for snowballs and snowmen.  So what did I do?


I built a snowman with Flat Stanley.  Because that is what all cool people spend their snowy, Tuesday afternoons doing.

After this I went to my last Victorian Literature class of the semester.  I bought myself a delicious-looking, hot apple cider during the break, made it back to class, sat down, and before I could even take one sip, I dumped the entire cup on my leg and the floor.  Nothing too serious, just a slightly tender leg and dirty pair of jeans.  Oh, and the loss of whatever remnants of pride I had.  Because nothing humbles you quicker than spilling a hot drink on yourself in front of a room full of people.

But all that is behind me, for a friend is coming over tonight and we shall watch Bridget Jones' Diary... because nothing solves hurt pride like a good Christmas movie... particularly one with Colin Firth...


...in a smashing Christmas sweater!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. Love your snowman! Our snow is gone, sigh, so I can't take the girls out to make one.

    ReplyDelete