Thursday 24 November 2011

Annal 93: Tale from the Lost Letters

So if there is one thing you may have learned about me it is that I tend to be a somewhat imaginative creature.  I received further proof of this today.

I am putting up my Christmas tree tomorrow afternoon so I started going through boxes in storage today to get myself organized for the grand occasion.  While searching through these boxes I can across two shoe boxes.  Opening these up revealed a part of teen years that I had almost forgotten.

I discovered numerous pictures of Vince Carter (played for the Toronot Raptors).  One brother had told me that if I married Vince he would let me hang out with him.  The result was everyone I know giving me pictures of the basketball player.  I just shake my head when I remember this phase.

I discovered a picture of Colin Firth that my cousin had sent me.  How I managed to not put it up I don't know :)

I found pictures a friend had drawn for me in grade eleven.  We were taking Math 12 and HATED it (I wrote a short story for Creative Writing 12 about it... and a poem for the same class).  In the picture we were stick people burning our math notes while quoting lines from Lord of the Flies.

Cool, right?

But the best discovery I made?

I kept almost every letter my cousin sent me throughout high school.  So I found this collection of our correspondence that just made me smile.

You see, we were exceptionally cool.  I confessed to you all yesterday my desire to be transported to another world?  Well, I created my own counterpart who existed in another world and she had a similar counterpart.  We drew maps, pictures, and wrote letters from our alternate selves.  And we did this for years.

We also wrote under pen names.  Sometimes I would sent her a letter from Aragorn, and in return would get a letter from Faramir.  Other times it was Fanny Price writing to Elizabeth Bennett.  The majority of envelopes I found rarely had my cousin's name in the return address.

I would love to tell you that I cringe when I think of the silliness of it all.  But I don't.

I think it is fairly safe to say that I have embraced by imaginative side fully.   There's a reason why every time I watch Anne of Green Gables I find that I identify with Anne more and more.

Today I was walking home from the bus stop.  It was quite windy, but I found that if I closed by eyes the wind whipping at my hair and face transported me back to when my sister and I went to Ireland four years ago.  Suddenly I was staring out at the sea while on the Inishowen Peninsula.  Or else I was standing atop the ruins of an old fort.  Or sitting on a boulder overlooking the vast countryside.


So if ever you feel like perhaps you are a little too imaginative for your own good, ask yourself: did you ever write letters from an alternate you who lived in an alternate world?  Did you write letters while pretending to be Emma Woodhouse?  Do you look at pictures of Lurtz, head Uruk-hai and say: "Do you have a name to go along with all of those rippling pectorals?"

If you do, please let me know... I am in need of other Annes out there!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

5 comments:

  1. I often wish we had know each other sooner...I was definitely an Anne. My best friend and I used to make up other worlds and stories all the time. We used to try to build flying machines too. I also have all her old letters. Aren't they great?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Anne Shirley with all my heart. And I wrote and wrote and wrote as a kid, in between all those dance classes I loved.

    I write stories/memories from my shoe's perspective now? Um does that count as imaginative and us bosom friends and kindred spirits? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina, I think we would have been some of the coolest kids in the world if we had've known each other when we were younger!

    Vikki, that definitely counts! I think we are definitely kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wished I had done this when I was corresponding with all my gal pals from across the country when I was a young'un... Pure genius! :))) I think I watched Anne of Green Gables like a bazillion times. Love her. Me and my sister break out into random period drama movie quotage like all the time. Still. Because we've watched all of them like so many times. It takes a certain kind of crazy to sit through as many viewings of those kind of movies as we did. But I kind of revel in it. I salute you and everyone else who commented on this! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who breaks out into random period drama quoting! Or quoting in general... I gave a friend a monologue from Shakespeare's "Two Gentlement of Verona" yesterday afternoon, because apparently I felt like I need to prove just how cool I am!

    ReplyDelete