Friday 18 November 2011

Annal 89: Tale from... Hmmm... Good Question...

It's Friday night and I'm not going to lie... I'm a little homesick right now.  Especially because it's the Christmas Tree Light-Up back home and I have to miss it... for about the third year in a row!  It's that small town treat, where almost everyone bundles up, braves the cold, and come out to sing carols and watch as the tree in the centre of town gets its lights turned on.  The downtown stores stay open late, and there is always free hot chocolate or cider, and lots of goodies.  Maybe it sounds dorky, but I love it! 

I also am in a state of full-blown Christmas spirit.  And I just heard from my mom that they put up their tree today.  I am looking forward to going home to a house that is all decorated up for the holidays!

We also got a massive dumping of snow here, so the world is completely white.  I walked to the bus stop this morning and had a breathtaking view of snow covered trees and a dusty pink sky as the sun slowly began to make its grand appearance. 

This last week has been amazing.  I feel as if I have been learning so much and have been amazed at how God has been connected the dots, so to say, for me.  I feel as if I have just been learning so much about Him, and in a different way than I thought possible.  Take yesterday for example.  In the morning I was doing my devotions and finally just said, "God, what does it look like for You to complete me?"  Then I was listening to a podcast last night and Keller mentioned how the more we learn about God, the more we get to know Him, the more like Him we become.  There was my answer.

I used to dread it when people would talk about 'hearing from God' because I never really felt like I could relate to that.  Sure, sometimes I could read my Bible and it seemed as if what I was reading was what I needed to hear, but I just never felt like I had that kind of a relationship with Him.  This semester I have been learning just how much I put God in a box.  He has spoken to me in so many different ways, nature, the Bible, books, podcasts, even BBC movies, and I never imagined that He could do that.  But I'm loving it.  Because I feel as if I am truly getting to know this God that I serve.

So the point of that was to show that this week has been really awesome.  I just felt a little out of it today.  I think part of it has to do with the fact that my mom, youngest sister, and two friends were supposed to come up and visit this weekend but because of the massive amounts of snow were unable to make it.  And I'm okay with that.

It just feels like Christmas.  And I associate Christmas with family.

Anyway, I recognize that this has been somewhat of a bizarre post with no really clear train of thought throughout it, but I needed somewhere to voice what I was feeling and to sort through my thoughts.  So you all get it.... mwa ha ha ha ha (insert maniacal video game laugh).

I suppose this is all just part of life.  We have good times, rough times, and sometimes we just get to wander along a plateau. 

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh the Christmas Tree Light up. That is such a fun time, despite the cold. They have a Christmas parade here which is still fun though.

    ReplyDelete