Friday 17 February 2012

Annal 127: Tale from the Druid Circle

I miss Ireland.

Pretty sure I have mentioned going before, but just in case anyone is wondering, I went there four and a half years ago with one of my sisters.  We did a bus tour, so we started in Dublin and circled the island, returning to Dublin.  We went through Northern Ireland as well, spending a day in Belfast, one in Derry (or Londonderry, depending on who you are), and I spent my birthday visiting Blarney Castle and kissing the Blarney stone.

And so today my post is not going to be deep, but is simply going to be me sharing some favourite memories I have from my trip, with you.



There was a section of forest by Blarney Castle and it was an enchanted forest.  The colour of the trees and feel of the woods differed drastically from the rest of the gardens surrounding the castle.  This above photo is of me sitting on one of rocks that was part of a druid circle.



This is another picture of me in the enchanted forest.  This was my birthday, and was the only time our entire trip where we had sunshine for almost the entire day.



These two above photos were taken at the ruins of a fort on the Inishowen Peninsula.  Next to Blarney Castle, this was one of my favourite days from our trip.  The weather was grey and brisk, and somehow visiting ruins on such a day seemed utterly perfect.


We simply stopped during one of our drives and discovered this spot.  I loved the landscape of Ireland... everything had a sort of rugged beauty to it, a sense of being wild and untamed.  Also, you wouldn't know it but the flies in the spot were horrendous... I was being eaten alive the whole time this photo was being taken.



And this was a shot from the top of Blarney Castle, while my sister and I were making our way to the Blarney Stone to kiss it.  Truly an amazing castle to tour.  I can close my eyes and still see the spiral stone staircases we had to travel to reach the top.

There are more photos, but these were some of the highlights for me. 

Lately I feel as if reality and dream have become harder to distinguish for me, as both seem to invade upon the other.  I cannot dream without reality showing itself, but nor can I walk through my day-to-day life without some aspect of my dream life, my imagination of you will, influencing what I see.  In a way I feel like a portion of the veil that separates this world from the next has shifted, ever so slightly, and as such I see things in a slightly different light.

Or maybe I am just battling a losing battle against insanity thanks to the craziness of this semester!

Regardless of any of this, my reading week has begun.  My sister and I head home this evening, and then I fly out to visit my cousin early tomorrow morning.  Think of me during my several hour-long breaks at airports, reading Victorian literature and thinking of a take-home midterm involving 18th and 19th century Britain.  Particularly since I will be gazing out the airport windows and envisioning rocky cliffs, the crashing sea, and grasses dancing beneath a gothic sky.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. I wish to go to Ireland so badly! Someday, soon I hope. You must have had a grand time. I am so intrigued by that little doorway! :))

    ReplyDelete