Wednesday 22 February 2012

Annal 129: Tale from the Ditch Debacle

No one can tell me that the prairie province of Manitoba is not an exciting place to spend reading week!  I have gone for daytime and nighttime walks, eaten cheesecake at the most delightful cafe, and been introduced to the first season of Downton Abbey.  Oh, and I have spent two hours in the ditch.

Driving back with my cousin from the city last night the roads were somewhat slick.  They had gotten a fair bit of snow the night before and throughout the day, and the result of this was my poor cousin hitting a patch of ice, spinning the car about 270 degrees, and then landing rather deeply in the ditch.
It was quite exciting!

We tried digging ourselves out, her with a shovel and me with my foot, but alas, it was to no avail.  So she called roadside assistance while I assured the numorous cars that continually pulled over to check on us that we were quite alright, that we had a phone to call for help, and that we were staying warm.
We were promised a tow truck in about forty-five minutes.

We received a tow truck in about two hours.

And it was a two hours full of movie quoting and song singing (our rendition of "You Can't Hurry Love" was something to behold, that's for sure).  And of finding ways that we could blame this experience on friends and not ourselves (apparently I decided to forget the lesson I learned from my friend Moses in my last blog entry) :)

But in that time I discovered that Manitobites are some of the friendliest people I have ever met.  A good twenty cars pulled over throughout our stay in the snow, wanting to make sure we were okay.  We had many offers for tows and rides from these lovely people and all were very concerned for our safety.  By the time we were out of the ditch and back on the road I felt like I was a part of this prairie family (not that my cousin minded, she has been trying to convince me to move here for quite a long time now!

You see, I have been able to celebrate numerous 'firsts' with my cousin.  I was there the night before her wedding when she almost rear-ended a pizza driver, the morning of her wedding when the toilet overflowed on her right before our hair appointments, I was with her for her wedding, and now I got to be there with her the first time she put a car in the ditch.

If that isn't family bonding, I am not sure what is!

And then we had a most relaxing evening once we got back (even if it was almost 1am by that time).  My cousin's husband had the kettle ready to go, a teapot heated up, and cinnamon buns on a plate just waiting for us (yes, my esteem for him DEFINITELY rose after that).  We also heated up some leftover Chinese food and then we watched an episode of Downton Abbey in our jammies.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment