Wednesday 29 February 2012

Annal 131: Tale from Miasma

I am currently doing research for my Victorian Literature paper on the theme of degeneracy as characterized by Arthur Machen's descriptions of air and mist in "The Great God Pan."  As such I am reading articles about miasma, which is the theory that disease and such was passed through "bad air."  Sounds a lot more intelligent than it really is, I promise!

I am also watching Bones while doing this research.  Why?  Because David Boreanas' character is the perfect mix of charm, wit, and geekiness ;)

So this Saturday is the SnowBall.  Which means I get to have my hair done, get all dressed up, and go dance the night away!  I am definitely looking forward to that.  It is not often that I am able to whip out of killer dance moves (the sprinkler, the towel, the teacher dance... you get the idea).

I have also gotten a few grades back this week and they have made me feel quite happy as well!  For at least a brief period in time things seem to be going well.  Yay!!!

This morning was my early morning ladies' Bible study.  We started Joshua and there were some interesting tidbits some of the ladies pulled out of the first chapter.

First of all, Joshua is told to be "strong and courageous" A LOT.  Which made me wonder how scared he must have been to be taking over for Moses.  Those were some pretty big shoes to fill, and not just to fill them, but to then lead Israel into the Promised Land.  I would have been freaked!  But God repeatedly tells him that He will be with him, that He will never leave him.

So Joshua steps out and gives a command to the people and you know what they respond with?  They tell him they will listen to him and then they also tell him to be strong and courageous.

One of the women pointed out that those Joshua must have been the most afraid of, the people, are then used to affirm his position and calling.

It made me wonder how many times I miss out on God reminding me that He is with me and that I need to be strong and courageous.  Which also made me wonder how many times I actually listen to His reassurances.  And how many times I still wallow in my fear.

Points to ponder, that's for sure.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment