Sunday 3 July 2011

Annal 36: Tale from a Nerd

A friend of mine was recently browsing the internet and came across a webpage called "The Nerd Machine."  She told me that they sold shirts with the word NERD plastered across the front and I have to be honest: I was intrigued.

Do I wear pocket protectors?  No.  Do suspenders hold up my pants?  No.  Do I mimic Steve Urkel?  N... okay, at times, yes, I will fight the urge to say in a nasally voice, "Did I do that?"  Regardless, as my father tells me, I'm not your typical picture of a nerd.  I tend to feel like I fall more under the category of dork, but I will take what I can get.  I do love super heroes, I play video games, I have the theme song from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as my ring tone, and my sisters gave me an X-Men comic 196- for Christmas this year, and so I feel that I can still identify with the social category of nerd.

Now that I have established why I feel like I would be justified in purchasing one of these shirts, I will share something that perhaps reveals the extent of my dorkiness.  I will be participating in a half-marathon this summer, and am trying to get some other people to join me.  I thought it would be cool if we all got NERD shirts to go together.

Here I am, the person who still cringes when I look in family photo albums and see pictures of my younger sister (five year age gap) wearing our matching outfits (go leggings and big sweatshirts!), and yet I'm will to submit myself to further matching faux-pas. 

My theory?  If the jocks used to be the "it" crowd, followed by the preps, and now the geeks/nerd, I can only hope that pretty soon it will be time for the dorks and freaks to step into the spotlight!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment