Friday 22 July 2011

Annal 43: Tale from the Future... Via the Past

I had the most horrible sense of foreboding earlier this week.  Really, it was quite traumatizing.  I was watching Cranford with a friend (because as I have mentioned I seem to spend most of my free time watching BBC adaptations of classics), and I saw what could be my future through this view into the past.

Cranford follows the lives of the women who live in a rather small town.  All of the women are either widowed or have never been married and are well into their fifties and sixties.  The result of this lack of marriage is that when a young doctor comes to town, half the women become convinced he is in love with them, while the other half try to convince the previous half of his interest.  It turns into one incredibly tangled, love hectagon that has you cringing by the end, just hoping that something will work out (specifically for this doctor who doesn't know what he has done to make so many women believe he loves them).

I'm odd.  I'm single.  I live in a small town.

I have discovered that perhaps my greatest fear is that I will turn into a Cranford woman.  And so I have devised a list to keep this from happening.

1. Pray really, really, REALLY hard that this never happens.
2. Not a big fan of big cities, so simply move from town to town so that I don't have the chance to set up roots like these women.
3. Once I pass the age of forty I will stay away from all attractive doctors (does this include optometrists and dentists?)
4. Pray really, really, REALLY hard that this never happens.
5. I never thought I would say this: never allow my single friends to outnumber my married friends.
6. If it seems like all hope is lost, apply to be a mail-order bride.
7. Possibly pray... I have heard it helps!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

3 comments:

  1. "does this include optometrists and dentists?" haha... priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, after reading every on of your blog entries so far I've come to the conclusion that we must be related somehow. Mostly because I love BBC dramas, science fiction, and also have my share of extreme quirks. Anyway, I love your blogs, please keep writing. Thanks for reminding me of God's awesome love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, thanks, Elizabeth!

    Miss Esther: I'm glad to know there are others out there with quirks similar to mine! It's such an encouragement! Thank-you, and here's to the BBC-loving-geeks!

    ReplyDelete