Saturday 23 July 2011

Annal 44: Tale from Sudoku

I had another one of those awesome moments at work today where I realized that my life is somewhat pathetic and that may perhaps be why I am still single.

I worked the early shift (started at four-thirty) and was taking my lunch break.  I have come to the point where I always bring a pen with me to the staff room so that I can do the sudoku puzzles in the newspapers that people put on the table in there (cool, I know... just wait for it, it gets even better).

So there I was completely immersed in my puzzle when one of the cashiers suddenly leans over to grab another paper.  The following is the conversation that ensued.

Cashier: "Excuse me." Reaches to grab paper.
Me: "Oh gosh, no worries.  Sorry I wasn't paying attention."
Cashier: "I just didn't want to interrupt you doing your puzzle."
Me: "I tend to get a little involved in them." Laughs slightly.
Cashier: "No worries." Smiles nicely.
Me: "Yeah, I am just that cool, you know.  I can't wait to get into the staff room so that I can do the Sudoku puzzles.  I'm kind of pathetic."
Cashier: Laughs.

So not only am I the epitome of cool who does newspaper Sudoku puzzles on my lunch breaks, but I then ramble on to the nice cashier about how pathetic my life is that I get excited to do them.  Did I really just tell a nice stranger about my pathetic life?

Just a shift or two ago one of the ladies I work with vowed that she would find me a man by the end of the summer.  Apparently she has her eye on some attractive officers.  I laughed and wished her luck.  After today's encounter I am beginning to think she will need more than prayer... she will need divine intervention!

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment