Sunday 17 July 2011

Annal 41: Tale from a Witch Hunt

I just got back from a run with my dad this morning.  While we were gasping for air, he was asking me about my courses for next year.  My excitement has been mounting daily at the prospect of going back to school--I think I may even be missing essay writing (mind you I will be rescinding that comment within the first week of classes).  Anyway, I was telling my dad that I'm really excited about one of my classes as it is about witch hunts in the eighteenth century.

This then led to a discussion on witch hunts.  My dad remarked on how long they have been around; that for ages anyone could be hunted down under suspect of witchcraft.  I commented that they would be hunted down for that or for owning cats and being single.

This then leads me to my current train of thought.  Two hundred years ago would I have been burned at the stake?  I may not own a cat, but I'm single, a major introvert, and am known for my eccentricities.  I find it incredibly romantic when Rochester calls Jane a witch in Jane Eyre and have said that I would love for a man to tell me I am bewitching.  Hmmm...

My thought train is now gaining more cars.  While we may not be burning people at the stake, in many church settings single women are looked on as oddities, especially, I find, in smaller communities.  If you are not married by age 22, people begin to wonder if you ever will be.  In many settings, single people are then excluded (perhaps not overtly, but it does happen) from group get-togethers as their friends marry and their group only extends to other married couples.  Singles are excluded in what I shall now dub the metaphorical witch hunt.

Do I actually think that people are convinced I'm a witch?  Of course not... at least I sure hope not!  But I do find it interesting that a parallel does seem to exist.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment