Monday 11 July 2011

Annal 38: Tale from the Sandwich Bar

Over the holidays I work in a deli.  It's terribly exciting.  I mean, who doesn't find slicing meat, making salads, and putting sandwiches together rivetting?  Everyone loves working at four-thirty in the morning so they can put an order away right?  After all, sleep in the summer is highly overrated.

However, the point of this entry is not that I work in a deli.  The idea of this will be the great care the matchmakers--I mean, women I work with, take when it comes to finding me a man.

There was the summer of the police officers.  During this time the women I worked with did whatever they could to place me in a position where I was serving the attractive officers of our community.  No matter what I did, they placed me in their way.  It was at times very embarassing.

There was the neighbour of one woman.  She thought he was perfect for me; she even claimed he didn't do hard drugs (which in this community is apparently a pretty big deal).  Alas, he was not quite what I was looking for.

Then there was the fact that no matter where I was in the deli, a voice would call me to a service counter any time a man (whether he was attractive or not) came near.

I did have one week where the same guy came in to get a sandwich every morning and I made it for him.  I rang up his order, handed him his sandwich, and there was eye contact.  This eye contact led to sparks.  The sparks led to me never seeing him again.  Go figure.

As I accustom myself to working in the deli again after teaching all year, I find myself on guard.  Already one woman had me checking out of eyes of one man at the sandwich bar.  Sadly, trying to explain to the women I work with my standards as a Christian single are a little difficult.  And so I shall see what this summer holds for me.  Will more good-looking police officers make their way to the deli?  Will eye contact guy ever come back?  Or will I spend a summer in quiet, single solitude.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment