Monday 30 May 2011

Annal 13: Tale from the BBC

Yesterday was a beautiful day.  The sun shone, I was able to drink coffee and do my devotions on the front porch before church, and it was a service where I left feeling as if I had been recharged.  What made the day even better, was spending the afternoon watching North and South for the second time.  John Thornton (played by Richard Armitage) still made me breathless and caused my heart to palpitate.
I go through phases.  For the most part, I’m okay with being single.  God has me in this place right now for a reason, and I intend to do everything I can to fulfill His purpose for me at this point.  At other times, it gets really hard.  Sadly, my addiction to BBC dramas does not help with this much.
Do I expect Richard Armitage, dressed as Thornton, to walk through the door, look at me, and profess his undying love for me?  No, I am not COMPLETELY unrealistic.  But what gets to me is the way that he looks at Margaret in the final scene of the movie.  I know that movies are not what you base your idea of romance and love on, but in the final scene Thornton looks at Margaret as if she is the only person who exists.  He is completely unaware of anything or anyone else.
I sometimes have to ask, “God, will anyone ever look at me that way?”
I know His timing is perfect, I know He has a plan; I’m really good at giving myself the lecture I gave to all my other friends back when they were still single.
But still I wonder.
And so I am left with four options:
Option One—Abandon the BBC
·         If literature and its dramatic representations only serve to remind me of what I am missing, perhaps I should go cold turkey.
Option Two—Join the BBC
·         Don’t they need a token Canadian actor who attempts to feign a British accent?
Option Three—Move to England
·         I have a five year plan in mind
o   Finish of my degree
o   Work up north for a couple of years to pay off student loans and put some money into savings
o   Move to England where I am at least surrounded by men who SOUND like Thornton and my other BBC heroes (thanks to my sister-in-law for this suggestion)
Option Four—Wait
·         Continue praying for myself and others and simply follow Him where He leads.  After all, His timing is perfect despite being different from my own.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

3 comments:

  1. This post absolutely made my day. Waiting and believing in God is hard no matter what you are waiting for. I also happen to love Mr. Thornton and Richard Armitage. Thanks for this awesome post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    You wrote: “ Continue praying for myself and others and simply follow Him where He leads. After all, His timing is perfect despite being different from my own.”

    I would like to comment on this. If one wants the help of the Creator one really needs to make sure that one is doing and obeying His Will.

    Since you are a Christian, I think you will find it helpful to know that the historical first century Jewish Messiah was a Jew called Y’hoshua [of Nazareth]; and that he and his followers did their best to keep the directives of the Torah [‘the books of Moses’]. This is what is taught in the Messianic prophecies of the Hebrew Bible [which Christians call the “OT”] (e.g. Y’shayahu [Isaiah] 9:6 in Hebrew according to Hebrew numbering [Documentation: Link].

    Did you know that the historical Mashiakh [Jewish Messiah] was a Jewish Rabbi and that he was a human, and not a ‘divine saviour’? [Documentation: Link? I would recommend you to read this article so that you can adapt your belief system to be in accordance with the Tana''kh; and in accordance with what the Creator requires in His Torah.

    If you start obeying the Instruction Manual of the Creator, I am sure that the Creator will give you all support in finding a future life partner, since that is a major military-style order of Torah [‘books of Moses’] by the Creator. If you don’t do this He can’t help you, since He wants you to find a life partner observing Torah; and Torah forbids marriage unions between a person doing his utmost to keep Torah non-selectively and a Torah-rejector; and since it is clear from Mishlei Shlomoh [‘Proverbs’] 28:9 that observing Torah is a requirement in order to commune with Him.

    Following the human Mashiakh called Yehoshua leads oneself into non-selectively Torah-observance to ones utmost, including an immensely meaningful relationship with the Creator.

    I wish you a nice day!
    Anders Branderud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Esther: I am glad you appreciated the posting! It's hard, but God's will is perfect and His timing may not be ours', but it's still perfect. I will add you to my list of people I am praying for!!!

    Anders: Thank-you very much for your post; I apreciate it. While I differ with you on our views of Yehoshua (I still maintain that He is the Savior and was the fulfillment of prophecies spoken and recorded throughout the Old Testament), I definitely appreciate what you have said. I am doing everything I can to ensure that I am following the words spoken throughout the Bible. When asked what the greatest commandment is, Yehoshua quotes from Deuteronomy saying, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and will all your might" (Deuteronomy 6:5). He also quotes from Leviticus 19:18 saying, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Yehoshua adds that all the Law and Prophets depend on these two commandments (Matthew 22:34-40). And so these are what I am trying to model my life after.

    Thanks again for your thoughts!

    Both of you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete