Thursday 19 May 2011

Annal 4: Tale from the Dress-Up Day

Every once in a while I have a complete moment of clarity and everything makes sense.  Like when you try to get up from your chair but you’re stuck.  You keep pulling and then all of a sudden you realize you sweater had hooked on something and that was why you were stuck.  Today is one of those moments.
I’m currently looking at myself and I’m wearing a cowboy hat, plaid shirt, studded belt, and a duster.  My hair is in braids and I’m greeting students as they walk in with a “Howdy.”  It’s Western Day at school and I’m all dressed up.  Now minus the hair, which is mine, everything else is borrowed.  And by borrowed, I mean I had to send out a Facebook message begging anyone with Western gear to please help me out.
You see, I love the theme days.  I think it’s cute the way my students will get dressed up and I love the creativity, but it goes far deeper than that.  I love dressing up.  There’s a scene in one episode of “The Big Bang Theory” where these four guys are incredibly excited to dress-up for a Halloween party.  That’s me.  If I had a costume of the Flash you would probably find me wearing it more often than I care to admit.  Actually, that is not true.  I would totally admit to wearing it.  You see, not that long ago our school had another theme day: Super Hero Day.  Yeah, guess you dressed up as Darth Vader?  That’s right, I wore black, I had a cape, and I most definitely had the mask.  The only thing missing was a voice distorter but even that didn’t stop me from breathing heavily and lowering my voice to raspy tone.
How does this all lead to my moment of clarity?  The lights have turned on, and angels have sung, and much like a vision all has become clear: I am a geek.
Some days it all makes sense why I am single.  I mean, I’m sure there are loads of people lining up out there wanting to date a flip-flop wearing cowgirl who doubles as a master of the dark side of the force, who can also tell you intricate details about the majority of the X-Men.  Yes, that was sarcasm.
I am a geek, but such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment