Friday 20 May 2011

Annal 5: Tale from the Spelling Test

My students have a way of putting everything in perspective for me, especially when it comes to my lack of a significant other.  You have already heard some of their stories, but yesterday they reminded me yet again of why I am still single.
Yes, the shepherd boyfriend made his way into the day’s conversation.  I had to leave the classroom for a moment, and did not want to explain why to them (I do not usually discuss my need to use the washroom with my class).  This of course led them to assume that I had a secret rendezvous with said mythical man.  Obviously I am the sort of person who arranges such trysts during my Social Studies class.
One Friday night I gave one of my students a wee bit of a scare.  You see, my youngest sister hangs out with his older sisters on Friday nights, and one evening I had to go and pick her up.  However, it was a quiet Friday night where I was watching tv and wearing my slippers.  I didn’t feel like changing footwear so I ran out in my slippers.  I knocked on their door and my student answered.  He has never forgiven me scarring him with my hoodied and slippered apparel.  This came up during yesterday’s spelling tests.  The result?  I had another student look at me and state, “Ms. S, you really need a life.”
One of the spelling words on the test was “locomotive.” Naturally this would lead to my singing “Locomotion” (this is an obvious thought progression, is it not?).  After threatening to sign me up for the year end talent show one student simply shook their head and said, “Ms. S, you are some kind of freaky.”
So once again, my students put my life into perspective.  I am a freaky woman who wears slippers and needs to get a life.  Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment