Monday 16 May 2011

Annal 2: Tales from the Classroom

My class discovered early on in the school year that I was single.  This is not the sort of thing I discuss with students, so I am not sure how they figured it out.  Perhaps it was because of the "Ms." before my last name, or perhaps I just give off a vibe that says, "Look at me, I'm single."  Regardless, they found out about my lack of a relationship status and they think it is wonderful to remind me of this.


Once a week I offer an afterschool math help.  One day the school secretary had to call up to my room repeatedly.  Somehow the mixture of cold weather, the coming Christmas holiday, the repeated interruption, multiplication, and the fact that the Christmas play was coming up soon resulted in the mythical creature my class has dubbed "Ms. S's shepherd boyfriend."  I do not understand how this came about, but come about it did, and my class has never been able to get over it.  For the last five months I cannot have my classroom phone ring without hearing a chorus of "Oooh, it's your shepherd boyfriend."  Sounds cute, but after some days where I hear this more times than I can count on one hand, it gets to be a little much.


My students are also somewhat obsessed with my wedding.  For a while some of their journal entries were about me getting married.  Then they would ask me if I would ever consider inviting them to my wedding.  I never bring this up to them, but for some reason  it seems to consume their minds.


Today's math class topped them all for me though.  After a call from the secretary and another remark about my shepherd boyfriend, one student, the same who will from time to time inform me that I will never get married, randomly asks me, "Ms. S, when you are all done with school, can you please not become a creepy cat lady?" 


I have an imaginary boyfriend, my entire class wants to come to my wedding, but if I do not hurry up I will become the cat lady from school legends.  Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment