Saturday 21 May 2011

Annal 6: Tale from the Church Pew

Last week I went to visit good friends in a relatively nearby community.  It was a wonderful visit and I spent the night, resulting in my attending church with them.  Their son is about a year and a half and my friend is eight months pregnant with their second child.  While standing during the music, I held the little boy and looked around at my surroundings.
  I was sitting in the back row of the church, one of those that are marked “For families with young children.”  I was in the early service, surrounded by other young families with little children.
It seems that no matter where I look I am surrounded by people my age who are married.  On the up side, some of these married people don’t mind associating with me.  On the other hand, I have lost many close relationships after some of my friends have gotten married.  I definitely understand that when you’re embarking on a new chapter of your life you want to surround yourself with people who on a similar journey.  This does make sense.  But I suppose it gets a little hard to suddenly have friends who only want to visit with me if their husband is not around. 
Do I have a jaded view?  Perhaps.  Or perhaps I’ve just been replaced for married women one too many times.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment