Saturday 28 May 2011

Annal 12: Tale from an Overactive Imagination

I was creeping through the bush, my eyes darting in every direction, checking to see if I was being followed.  I heard nothing, but that did not mean they would not appear soon.  I began talking to myself, as I always did in such circumstances, my British accent rolling off my tongue in a truly romantic manner.  I could see light ahead of me and I knew I would soon be leaving the cover of the bush.  Before I knew it I was in the open, a street in front of me, the occasional car passing by, a cold, NWT wind whipping against my parka. 

I was about eight or nine and this was my lunchtime and afterschool routine.  I would walk to and from school, through some bushes, pretending I was a British orphan on the run from a cruel orphanage.

Yeah, cool, I know.

This soon evolved into more "awesome" imaginings.

At other times I was a servant working in the kitchens of a grand castle in some unknown land.  I was always brilliant, adventurous, and incredibly mysterious.  This usually took place on evenings when I was doing dishes and they were particularly messy.

My aunt once had my cousin and me polish my mother's silver.  We decided to pretend we were members of Henry VIII's court, eating and drinking and attempting to belch.

I would love to say that with each passing  year I grow in maturity and am able to put childish things behind me.  But that would be a lie.

I still clean the bathroom, my bedroom, or the dishes with some great plot running through my mind.  Guaranteed, almost anytime I am seen staring off into space it is because I have some sort of story that is playing before my eyes.

I would love to say this tendency is a part of my charm, but I am afraid it really just points to a fact I have come to realize: I am a geek.

It will take one very special man to see my geekiness as charming and loveable, but perhaps that is why God is taking a little longer finding a man for me than he has for my friends.  And if that's what it takes, I'm okay with that.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment