Friday 27 May 2011

Annal 11: Tale from the Date

It’s Friday night and I have a date.
I’m trying to still my pounding heart and calm my rapid breathing.
This is all pretty exciting to me and it doesn’t happen very often.
Truth be told, I had to initiate everything with regards to this.
I had to look at him, curly, dark hair falling into his chocolate brown eyes, and say, “What should we do for dinner this Friday?”
His response?
“’Donalds!” That would be McDonalds.
This morning I asked him if we should watch a movie tonight.  He became very excited and suggested we watch Tinkerbell.
My date is four.
He is like a nephew to me, and I am taking care of him for a couple of days while my parents are out of town.  He is a crazy four year old, but I love him to pieces and he is one of the cutest kids I know.  He and I also tend to go to McDonalds for dates on a relatively frequent basis.  If I’m lucky, other friends of mine who have kids the same age as this little guy will show up and then we can do “family dates.”
I sometimes laugh when I realize that my idea of a date is going out for fast food with a boy not yet in elementary school, but I also think I’m lucky.  I’m constantly surrounded by children, and as much as they say things that make me laugh, they are also sweethearts.  The other day I went to pick up my boy after I got off from work and while I was putting his coat on he just wrapped his arms around me and gave me a huge hug.  While I was doing my devotions this morning, he came up and asked if he could cuddle with me.  The same goes with my students.  Sure they like to remind me that I’m single, but they also say things like “Ms. S, you’re the best teacher in the whole wide world.”  Or they tell me how much they will miss me when I go back to school in the fall.
I may be single, but God has a way of letting me know that I am loved and that He hasn’t forgotten about me.  And usually it is at the hands of one of little guys!
Of course, as I am pondering this, my students are eating lunch at telling me that the reason I don’t remember my shepherd boyfriend is because of my short term memory problem.  Gems, aren’t they?
Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I hung out at 'donalds with a 4 year old last weekend too ;)

    And yes, students. I have one former student that sees me at church and still likes to call me Miss {insert real surname here} which depresses me to no end. I try and get her to call me by my first name but she refuses to. So we have a deal. Every time she calls me 'Miss' she is required to pray for a husband for me.

    She's been missing in Church lately...hmmmm. :P

    Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my strangest student-teacher moment was when I was subbing but also helping to lead my church's youth and young adults groups... I taught two youth, who eventually joined my young adults group, and then got married... and I was a bridesmaid!

    ReplyDelete