Tuesday 31 May 2011

Annal 14: Tale from a Distance

There’s an interesting fact that becomes apparent when you are single and most of your friends are not: everyone has decided that it is their job to make you “unsingle.”  If I had a dollar for every time I had a friend say, “I know a guy...” I would seriously never have to work another day in my life.  Of course, my friends only seem to “know guys” who live a fair distance away from where I am currently situated.
Situation One: I have actually met one of the men one friend suggests.  However, he lives several hours away in the neighbouring province and rarely comes to visit.  It’s all swell that he would love to settle down with a “nice, Christian girl” but alas, we have not met in over ten years.
Situation Two: Another friend tells me about an awesome guy she knows and how she thinks we could do well together.  Like situation one, situation two lives a far distance away and does not seem to be planning a trip in this direction any time soon.
Situation Three: The principal at my school actually grew up on a Mennonite colony.  She found out that some men from there were coming to town and had wanted to meet some “nice, Christian girls.”  My phone number was given out, but I was out of town when they came to visit.  My phone has never rung with a call from the colony.  So much for strapping men with a good work ethic.
Situation Four: My dad’s boss found out he has a single daughter close in age to her single son.  He does not live nearby and is not a Christian, so alas, another lost cause.
Situation Five: A woman I met once and talked to for about one hour thinks I’m a “nice, Christian girl” and would do very well with her son.  Apparently I give off good vibes through the course of a one hour visit.
While I greatly appreciate the thought and care my friends give to my relationship status, and the fact that I apparently do not need to look for a guy for myself as everyone else has it under control, just once it might be nice to meet one of these guys, as opposed to be told about their attributes and qualities and having to admire from a great distance.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

3 comments:

  1. Just wait ( actually no I am praying you don't! ) till you get to my age and then no one will know any guys any more. I'm not sure which one is more frustrating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if we could manufacture our own Christian men...

    ReplyDelete