Sunday 22 May 2011

Annal 7: Tale from the Swimming Pool

I walked through the entrance of the swimming pool and spotted my friend.  It was her son’s first birthday and it was a swimming party.  I stood with my friend and watched as the other guests arrived: mothers, fathers, and children.  This was no big deal.
Then we left to go through the change rooms and into the pool.  For the first time ever, I walked into the women’s change room on my own as all my friends headed into the family change room.  This had never happened to me before.
This was the point when I began to realize that I was a rare breed.
This fact was cemented when two months later I received my next birthday invitation.
Another friend’s daughter was turning one.  I showed up at the party, surveyed the guests, and smiled inwardly as I realized I was again the single friend among the families.
I have now definitely realized I am a singular breed.
I sometimes wonder: will I come to be the eccentric, single aunt to a host of children?  Will I forever walk alone through the women’s change room? 
My only demand is that these one year olds make their way to my birthday party.
Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment