Tuesday 4 October 2011

Annal 71: Tale from the Sun's Anointing

This morning I was sitting in the cafeteria (if you haven't noticed by now, I do this a lot) studying for a  midterm that I have tomorrow.  All of a sudden I looked up from my computer, and at that exact same moment the sun broke through the clouds, shining through a far window and directly onto me.  One of my favourite sensations is what I have dubbed being "anointed by the morning sun." 

Living where I do can be hard.  I am surrounded by gorgeous scenery, but the winter months can be particularly dark.  I love overcast weather,  but a steady diet of it can take a toll on you.  I sometimes accept the myth that the sun does not exist and that my life will be filled with constant clouds.

As soon as the sun hit me this morning, I couldn't hide my smile.  It felt like a giant spotlight had been pointed at me, and God was saying "I see you" (this suddenly puts images of Frodo, the Ring, and Sauron in my mind, but please know I don't think of God as a flaming eye atop a tower waiting to destroy me).  I felt a peace and wasn't fully sure why.

Sometimes I think hope is like the sun.  It is always there, but at times gets hidden behind darkness and disappointments for so long that we forget about it.  There are so many hopes and dreams that I have that I will sometimes tuck away in a deep corner of my being because it seems like they will never come to pass.  I then forget that they even exist.  Then one day they will pierce through everything I have hidden them behind and remind me that they still exist.

Life rarely turns out the way we think it will.  If mine had've turned out the way I thought it would, I would be teaching this year, all done my schooling, married, and probably contemplating my first child.  Instead I am in school, single, and childless.  One of my biggest dreams is to be able to write, but so far my blog is all I have been able to accomplish.  I could allow this to demolish my hopes and my dreams.  I could dwell on what I don't have instead of on what I do have.

The thing is, when I place my hope in someone or something besides God, I am going to be let down.  He alone holds this world in His hands, and so who better to place my hope in?  Life may not turn out the way I think it should, or the way I want, but do I give up my hopes and dreams because of that?  I think God has a tendency to fulfill our hopes in ways we don't expect, but in ways that end up much better than anything we could have dreamed of.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

No comments:

Post a Comment