Wednesday 5 October 2011

Annal 72: Tale from the Rough Patch

Do you ever feel like a complete hypocrite?  Like you can profess something but when it comes to actually applying it you are an utter failure?  Today I have been having one of those moments.

I had just finished telling a friend how content I am with waiting; that I am not desparate to get married and that while I would love to meet someone I know that I can wait until I meet the right guy.  Shortly after this I had a glorious breakdown on God.

I have been in two dating relationships, neither one being particularly long, and the latter one really did a number on my self-esteem (something I hadn't fully realized until the last month or so).  Today was a day where I just felt lonely.  And not just lonely.  I felt so undesirable and unloveable.  I know God loves me and I know I have friends who love me--I have reiterated those facts countless times through many a blog entry.

But today I didn't feel it.

Today I felt like I was back in high school watching everyone around me pairing off while I just stood back encouraging them and trying to be happy for them.  I felt like the time I put into my appearance today didn't matter because no one was going to be looking.  Any confidence I felt like I had gained since coming back to school seemed to fly out the window.  I felt undesirable. 

I sat on the couch making flash cards for a midterm I have tomorrow while tears streamed down my face.  I looked up at the ceiling and cried out, "God, what is so wrong with me?"

I wish I could end this with some uplifting lesson, but the truth is, I'm just not feeling it.  I know I am loved.  But today I just don't feel it.  And if I'm going to share with you lessons God is teaching me, or funny experiences from being single, then I am also going to share the rough patches.  Today was just one of those.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

I am now going to make an adjustment to this post.  It is several hours later and I have since calmed down.  There were multiple things that contributed to my feeling horrible, like a frustrating midterm, a grade I wasn't happy with, heck, tripping on my way home so that myself and my two bags went flying across the grass (embarassing much?).  And, to be honest, I wish I was done with my schooling.  I feel like life is on hold until I get this done, and I really want to get on with my life. 

So I apologize for the emotional rant; it's not really the kind of post people want to read!

2 comments:

  1. No need to apologize! That's what friends are for...to listen to rants and help you feel better. We all have days where we feel like that. I hope you know that you are beautiful inside and out.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, Sabrina, that means a lot.

    ReplyDelete