Saturday 22 October 2011

Annal 79: Tale from the Vampire Teeth

Nothing quite being told "I love you" through a set of vampire teeth.  I understand that vampires are supposed to be sexy, but when coming from a five year old, and when you have to wash the saliva from your hands after putting the teeth in his mouth, it is different.  Especially when shortly after saying he loves you, the five year old takes out his vampire teeth, and while they are still dripping with spit, says, "Can you hold my teeth?"  Yeah, nothing unusual about this Saturday morning!

My youngest sister and oldest nephew are up, and this is only the third day, but it has definitely been exciting!  I came home Thursday after class to Batman flying down the hallway toward me.  By dinnertime Batman had been transformed into Wolverine, but was back to being Batman the next morning while he helped me put on my makeup.  Since my oldest nephew opened his birthday present from my sister and I last night, he has been a vampire (he asked for "scary teeth" for his birthday). 

The four of us then made out way to the movie theatre for nine this morning for a special event that was on (free admission and $2 items at the concession).  Of course, being that we were with a five year old we had to bypass going to see the Green Lantern and watched Yogi Bear in 3D instead.  The highlight of the movie?  Well, there wasn't really one, though I enjoyed driving home to The Lion King soundtrack in our car, while my sister and I alternated whatever octave we were singing in, the three of us sisters danced, and our oldest nephew screamed for us to stop!

It is strange, having a five year old around.  It brings out the kid in you, but also brings out the maternal instinct.  You make funny faces at him and dance around the living room with him, but you also cuddle him when he falls and hurts his leg.  And sometimes you get rewarded with "I love you more than words can say."  I have no idea when he became so poetic, but it sure makes me feel good!

Of course, moments like dancing and singing in the car remind me of reasons I may still be single!  I definitely don't think my dance moves are going to be winning me any points with the opposite sex any time soon!

But it has been refreshing to have the two of them around.  My youngest sister and I will take him to the park while our other sister is still in class.  We run down 'secret' pathways, and have races.  We lose shoes while we are swinging.  He picks us flowers, and then we have to be monsters and chase him.  Every once in a while you get a feeling that says, "Everything is okay."  Maybe this is another one of those times where God reminds me that He is present.  That peace I feel when I am reading to my oldest nephew, or drinking coffee with my youngest sister, sometimes feels other-worldly.  Despite the stresses of school, the insecurities, and the longing for life to just move on, I will sometimes receive a peace that lets me know I am where I need to be right now.

And so the saliva-covered vampire teeth are refreshing.

Such is the life of a Christian single.

1 comment:

  1. I like those "other worldly" experiences...those times of pure contentment and joy in life and the little things. The knowledge that we are where God wants us to be for this moment in time...is comforting. I can tackle tomorrow but I'll think about that, well...tomorrow. Today...I'm just going to enjoy the little things :)

    Lovely post, they always brighten my day :)

    jeanine

    ReplyDelete