Tuesday 25 October 2011

Annal 82: Tale from the Atl Atl

Hwah!!!!

That is the sound effect I made in my head during my Anthropology class this morning.  Our prof decided that we all needed to try using one of the technologies learned about in class.  It was an atl atl.  For those who don't know what that is (don't worry, I didn't before I took this class), it is a spear thrower.  So I just came in from throwing spear darts in the field by the university.

It was amazing!

My throws weren't spectacular, but at least a did better than a few of the guys (that was my highlight, I will admit it).  The conclusion to be drawn?  I may not fit into Victorian society, but I just may be able to make a go of it in a hunter-gatherer society.  Yay me!

I'm trying to think of a way to draw some deep, spiritual truth from the atl atl experience, but I can't.  All I know is that I had a BLAST!  As I sit in the cafeteria, I keep envisioning doing it again, and wondering what a sight it must have been, me in my scarf and long, blue coat (looking like a teacher I believe my friends would say), throwing a spear.  And the thought makes me grin!

Perhaps this is to be my consolence.  Should an apocalypse occur and the world be hurled back centuries with regards to technology, I may be able to hunt.  Or at least hurt someone/something... should I learn to aim, that is.  I may not have a man to protect me right now, but I know the basics of using an atl atl. 

Suddenly, I have a zombie apocalypse plot going through my head, that involves me throwing a spear, piercing a zombie's spinal cord, as a blood red sun begins to set, making my blond hair look as though on fire....

Alright, I am going to break with that thought process now and get ready to go to class. 

May your aim remain true, and your atl atls remains sharp!

(And I wonder why I am single?)

Such is the life of a Christian single.

2 comments:

  1. That would have been so much fun!

    How is that pronounced? 'Attle'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a blast! And yes, that is how it is pronounced :)

    ReplyDelete